I want to be a Marketer

It’s funny how “I told you so” is such a common phrase in our lexicon. It’s as if no matter how much YOU think you know, someone always knows more. There is always some wise sage that seems to elude you that everyone else has access to. Thus when you finally catch up to what everyone else seemed to know but you, those words are haunting and taunting you off in the distance.

Well right now those very words are dangling over my head, whispered by the many representatives of all the b-schools I visited including Fisher. I recall sitting through all of the panels, all of the presentations, and all of the informational interviews and the same question popped up every single time. “How should I answer the essay concerning my career goals when I’m undecided?” said in a panicked voice that went up an octave with each word uttered. The response was always the same, don’t worry because chances are whatever you do put down, your goals will change. Nevertheless I stressed and agonized over having to put down, into what seemed like concrete, my dreams and career goals. I felt like whatever I put down it needed to be good and perfect and it had to reflect every aspect of who I am, and who I hoped to be.

It. Was. Tough.

Obviously I was able to, and I clearly articulated my goals well because I landed an honored spot at this amazing business school. I held firm to what I wanted to do with my life, creating my Career Marketing Plan that outlined each step of my future. But something odd began to happen. Fisher does a great job at introducing you to various careers, industries, and specific job functions. There are boot camps, company-sponsored informational mixers, workshops, and meetings with your Career Management Consultant at your convenience. Through all of these avenues I began to realize that my career goals were changing, and quickly.

I’ve been in school for officially nine weeks now and I am FULLY convinced that I am destined to be in Marketing. Not only that, but I can SEE myself as a Brand Manager. I thank Fisher for providing me with the opportunities to see myself down various career paths. There was the Consulting boot camp, the Finance boot camp, Real Estate, Supply Chain, and then the one I came to love: the Marketing boot camp. I went from thinking that perhaps I’d be a consultant, maybe I’d be in community relations, maybe I’d do a bit of both, to rock solidly knowing that Marketing is my calling.

Through company-sponsored mixers I have narrowed down my target list and I have Google alerts set for all of them so I can stay up-to-date on company news. I participated in the Procter & Gamble Marketing Case Competition and I had a blast! I even came home with the “Best Presenter” award! Friday I’m going to visit Nestle in Solon, OH and I cannot wait. Nestle was great enough to host a workshop to teach us how to analyze P&L financial statements from the perspective of a Brand Manager. All great information that makes me even more excited about my future.

So you see, don’t stress yourself out trying to pen down exactly what you want to be when you grow up. Chances are if you’re a career switcher you’ll stray from that when you get into the swing of school. You’ll learn things in class and from your classmates that will help you define and mold your future. It’s an amazing feeling!

But of course you’ll do it anyway, just promise me that you’ll come back and leave a comment on this blog post so *I* can tell *you* “I told you so!”

JG*

3 Responses to “I want to be a Marketer”

1. 1 Tanushree Baidya November 17, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Hey Jennifer,
    Great Post !!! … I am applying to Fisher and few other schools.
    The Goal essay always stumps me..for even though I have a plan … it still feels unclear at times. Waiting for my great revelation ..hopefully at Fisher.

2. 2 Jennifer Garrett November 18, 2010 at 10:07 am

@Tanushree Good luck with your essays and applications! There is a lot of introspection involved but you can do it. Think about what you’re passionate about and start there. You can always find a way to turn that into a career, especially at Fisher. But that way, you’ll really be able to speak to your future versus what you think b-schools want to hear. They just want to get to know you, use those essays to shine!

JG*

3. 3 Tanushree Baidya December 3, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Well.. I have done just that , and I hope Fisher agrees.
    Your post reflects facets of the kind of exposure and opportunities you’re getting and it is incredible.

I really look forward to get into Fisher. It is amazing how passionate Fisher students feel about their school. I have been speaking to another current student Patrick of the MBA ambassadors and the more I read , talk and speak — the more confident I feel about Fisher.

Anyways Keep writing, I enjoy reading these student blogs.