It’s All About Perspective.

As is the theme with so many blogs lately, we all have a ton of work to do.  This past Sunday however, I decided not to do any.  I was going to take the day, go shopping and go out to eat with my girlfriend and spend some quality time with my couch.  A welcome change to the busy schedule that I am getting used to, and for the most part, enjoy.

However, around six in the evening I got a knock on my door.  ”Do you own a silver Focus?”

“Yeah…”  I responded cautiously to the young couple at my door.

“Someone stole your radio and broke your window.” he said.  ”They got mine too.”

Being born and raised in the city of Flint, MI and spending my share of time in and around Detroit, two cities that are consistently among the most dangerous in the country, I’ve seen and experienced quite a bit.  I have lived in areas where it was uncommon not to hear gunshots at night.  I have also had the unfortunate opportunity to live through a drive-by shooting on my neighbors home.

These are just a couple of examples of why I think I have a unique perspective on  having my vehicle vandalized and property stolen.  There are a lot of crimes that one can be a victim of.  Of all these, losing a radio and window is not all that bad.  Myself, nor was anyone I know, physically hurt by this.  A replacement window and radio costs a grand total of $300, of which I only pay $100 thanks to insurance.  Considering some of the things I have experienced in the past, it’s just not that big of a deal.

This goes for how we deal with pretty much everything we do.  Our reactions to circumstances are largely shaped by our past experiences.  We all should be willing to open ourselves up to other people and to new experiences. Sure some are bound to turn out bad, but even those we can learn from and apply those lessons in the future.  It’s just all how we look at it.

So does this experience sour my perspective on Columbus?  Not one bit.  Things like this happen everywhere.  The people I have met here and the experiences and opportunities that have opened up to me far outweigh this one negative thing.  Of course when the repairs are finished I don’t want it to happen again.  But it doesn’t change my opinion of the city or University.