To Commute or Not to Commute?

Yes, I’ll admit it. I’m still living with my parents.

After deciding on the MAcc program in early 2010, I was presented with the issue of housing. Being from Columbus, I had the option of living at home (in a suburb of Columbus) or getting an apartment close to campus. Initially, l thought that living at home was a definite no. I had nightmares about having to wake up ridiculously early to get to class or being stuck in traffic and missing an exam. I was sure that after living on my own for the past five years, I would not return to my childhood abode.

However, when I returned back home to Columbus this past August, I was immediately bombarded with “real-world” responsibilities and finding an apartment was the last thing on my mind.

Fast forward to the present day—I am happily sitting on the sofa in my home, talking to my mom about what foods she should buy at the grocery store and writing this blog entry.

What I have learned is that it is totally feasible (and actually quite easy) to commute from the suburbs of Columbus to OSU. If you are thinking about commuting from a suburb of Columbus, I would encourage you to do so. And as for the traffic, I must have forgot that I lived in Columbus, Ohio; traffic is not an issue.

Oh, I almost forgot! The number one reason why commuting is not a problem at Fisher… because every student gets a locker! Only recently did I realize the value of lockers to commuters. Last week, I was at my locker and I noticed a girl next to me who I had never seen before. We laughed for a minute because in almost a month at school we had never been at our lockers at the same time. She quickly said to me, “oh, I never use my locker”, and I immediately gave her a shocked, deer-in-the-headlights look as a pair of black pumps from last weekend and a suit jacket from my interview tumbled out of mine.

Rachelle