MBA teams

If there’s one thing that I like about my MBA more than anything else… it has to be my MBA team for this year. They’ve been my support group in terms of telling me what needs to be done for the next week.

For the uninitiated, here’s how the Fisher MBA program works. The class is divided into teams of 4-5 people who will work together for the entire first year. It’s your responsibility to stick together as a team for the complete year and make sure that things work as planned. And considering the kind of talent that comes in to Fisher, I don’t see any reason why someone would not want to learn from others in his/her team.

While working with my team, I’ve realized that life becomes so much easier when working collaboratively. What is one’s competency might be another’s weakness. Everyone has something to gain from the team’s progress, and the concept of a team gives encouragement and support for everyone to learn from everyone else.

The way of teaching is quite different in the US compared to other Eastern (especially Asian) countries, where the teaching gets done during the class by the professor. Here, the students are required to study the portions that would be covered on that particular day. The job of the professor is to be a moderator in the discussion that ensues in class based on the studies that the students have completed in advance. While the complex topics are still explained by the professors, it would be nothing new to anybody in the class, since everyone has already read the concepts before. So, during the class, the topics are taken forward and discussions concern subjects beyond what is in the text book/ concepts.

What do you think? Do you prefer to work in a team, or work individually? If you think you belong to the latter group, it’s going to be a tough journey for you. But I’d like to know your thoughts nonetheless!

Cheers,
Kaushik