New classes, new faces and some new places

Greetings!

I realize it’s been quite a hiatus since my last post – there’s definitely a lot to catch up on!

I, like many of the now second-year MBA’s, spent the summer interning at a company, working on a great project. I worked at Ford Motor Company, up in Michigan. It was a cool company – Alan Mulally, the CEO, has a great message and vision that I felt very comfortable standing behind. It was also personally rewarding, because I grew up in Michigan – it was a sort of “homecoming.”

Now that I’m back in Columbus, it’s been a whirlwind of unpacking, painting, getting pets settled, catching up with friends and remembering just how crazy traffic can get on the I-270 Outerbelt in the mornings!

I’ve had the privilege of meeting a few of the first-year MBA students at different events at Fisher Commons and on campus…What a great group! I’m impressed with the things they have already achieved, and I hope they enjoy their first year as much as I know my classmates and I did!

As for this quarter, I’m focusing on operations and logistics, with two classes about supply chain, one on lean/Six Sigma, and one on competitive analysis. I also began working part time at HDR. This company, located on the west side of Columbus, makes power supplies, power controllers and panel boards for a wide range of industries. In fact, the glass-melting furnace I ran at the Newark facility of Owens Corning Fiberglas used equipment from HDR. The people are wonderful – they are constantly looking to improve their process and better serve their customers. I will be working on supply chain, logistics and inventory management projects. I can’t wait to get started, and I know the courses I’m taking will definitely help!

Enough with words – no blog post is complete without some pictures! I’m including just a sampling of some of the amazing places and things I saw this summer!

The kind of horses I would want in my stable too. Upper Peninsula, MI.

Two best buddies at the Oakland County Fair.

Got to take a trip around Columbus in this two-seater plane.

Demolition Derby at the Oakland County Fair.

Heidelberg Project. An interesting district in Detroit.

New Albany Classic. Beautiful, talented horses and their riders.

Agawa Canyon, Canada. We took the train tour from Sault Ste Marie, Canada to the canyon.

Tahquamenon Falls. The largest and most beautiful falls in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

The Diamondback at Kings Island.

Saw this beautiful orange Lambo parked on the side of the road at the Woodward Dream Cruise in Michigan.