Denver

Well, here I sit in the lobby of the Hyatt Regency, downtown Denver. This day should be full of working remotely, some fun thrown in there, and watching my husband present for a student presentation competition. Why am I in Denver? The national Animal Science meetings are going on right now, and since Benjamin and my mother are both in the Animal Science field and were planning on coming to the meetings anyway, my father and I decided to tag along. It’s nice, also, because my aunt and uncle live in Denver and they weren’t able to come to the wedding, so it’s been really nice to catch up with them.

I flew in Friday, and as hard as it may seem at 23 years of age, it was my first completely solo flight. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve flown before, but it has always been with the marching band, or a study abroad group, or with Benjamin. This time it was with just me. So there I was, waiting for my flight, when a torrential downpour happened. There was so much rain, we couldn’t see out the terminal window. Then the lady comes on the loudspeaker saying our incoming plane was more than likely being re-routed to Cleveland. This was awesome…not…I had a connecting flight in Houston that was only an hour after I landed, there wasn’t much wiggle room. As I sat worried about ever making it to Denver, my name comes on the loud speaker to go up to the desk. When I got to the desk, they handed me a new ticket which was a non-stop flight to Denver – there were only a few problems: it was boarding in half an hour, and I had to go out to the ticketing counter, get a new boarding pass, and go back through security and make it on the plane, and the other problem was that I was due into Denver about 1 1/2 hours before my parents and Benjamin were going to get there. But, I ran to get to my plane, made it on time, and by some luck, by the time I lazily walked to the passenger pick up in Denver, my parents pulled up. Perfect! And now I’m in Denver, relaxing and having a great time. There are days where I think it would be really nice to have the flexibility to travel around with Benjamin wherever he goes – and then I remember that I have to work with people, otherwise I would go completely stir crazy. But for now, these brief travels are a lot of fun.

This week should turn out really well, though. We’re getting a new HR Manager at GE, and I think that will give me more work. Last week I put together a really nice welcome binder for her. It included general information about the plant, the products made and all sorts of other fun facts. One of my supervisors really liked it and so did the other co-0p. This week, I should be able to continue working on our walking path around the plant to encourage employees to get a little bit of exercise in during their breaks – all to promote a healthier lifestyle.

For now, however, I need to get work done for MSE to make up for the fact that they let me skip two days of work to come out to Denver. Our two Teacher Camps are coming up at the end of July and beginning of August, and there’s still a lot to be done.

Happy Monday!

We were nice to each other...