A Test of Willpower

I’m a firm believer in mastermind groups. The concept of the mastermind group was formally introduced by Napoleon Hill in the early 1900′s in his timeless classic Think And Grow Rich. He wrote about the mastermind principle as “the coordination of knowledge and effort of two or more people, who work toward a definite purpose, in the spirit of harmony.” In a mastermind group, your peers give you feedback, help you brainstorm new possibilities, and set up accountability structures that keep you focused and on track. You create a community of supportive colleagues who brainstorm together to move the group to new heights.  Consider it your personal board of directors.

I have several groups that I lean upon to help me navigate life’s challenges. There’s the Lost Boyz, my group of childhood friends who have watched each other grow up over the past ten to twenty years. I have The Crew here at the Fisher College (you guys know who you are). And then there’s a little group that we like to call The Braintrust.

The Braintrust is a group of four friends living all over the country. We are actors, producers, businessmen, academics, professional fighters, yoga instructors, computer programmers, salesmen, and philosophers. Drew’s called us “the most diverse group of geniuses every created.” We share our lives with each other over Facebook and email, giving each other a little helping hand and some encouragement when necessary.

Kris Sharma is one of the members, a super talented actor, producer, comedian, and writer. He recently decided to try out veganism for a month and convinced us to join him. Then over a series of emails and texts, the stakes got higher and higher. No meat, eggs, or dairy. Then no alcohol. Then no caffeine. Then no sugar. Then no harmful thoughts toward others. So for the month of February I’m taking on “The Monastic Challenge” with Kris, Drew and Matt.

I’m pretty excited about it as I’ve wanted to try going vegan for a while now. Hopefully my body will hold up on a lower protein diet, I have some important intramural basketball games to play. Our Fisher College MBA team is 2-0 so far, and we’re looking to repeat as champions of the Graduate/Faculty league. Priorities my friend.

In more MBA related news, we’re packing up for Wake Forest this weekend to take a shot at winning $50,000 in the Wake Forest MBA Marketing Summit Case Competition. I’m going to Omaha to meet Warren Buffett on February 26 with a group of Fisher MBAs. And I’m really enjoying my winter quarter classes so far through week four. My personal favorite so far is Patricia West’s Integrated Marketing Communications class. She’s very passionate about the subject matter and the class really moves. With my background in advertising, it’s interesting to see some of the theory behind what we did in practice.

And by the way second years, we graduate in four months. Gasp.

Mike ^_^

“For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.” – Jean Dubuffett (famous 20th century French painter and sculptor)