Flower Power

orchid_01A couple of weeks ago I finally got the chance to visit Franklin Park Conservatory (as a birthday date/present) – a relaxing and pleasantly fragrant experience. The current exhibition features handmade glass created by Dale Chihuly and his students (there was a ton of it everywhere, quite a bit too much I’d say), and a “forest” of orchids (Geoff and I found one that smelled like white tic-tacs). We each ended up purchasing a student membership because of a sale that brought the price down to twice that of general admission. I’m not sure if I’ll be going back to visit while Chihuly is still on display, but I can’t wait for their “Savage Gardens” exhibition of carnivorous plants. Plus, the membership can be used to gain entrance into a variety of other plant/nature-oriented areas around the country, so I’m thinking there’s a spring break road trip in my future. Days like that one make me wish I didn’t have a brown thumb. So far the only things I’ve managed to not kill have been the succulents I planted in a terrarium and not touched since.

This past weekend, when the temperatures finally rose enough to allow for bicycle-oriented activity, Geoff and I rode up to Antrim Park, which is about four miles north of our apartment and right off the bike trail. We walked around the central lake, and met a lot of friendly dogs. Every time I go, I get this strong desire to adopt a puppy…and then I remember that we have three cats.

Next on my list: a visit to Columbus Zoo (Jack Hanna is the Director Emeritus there), a shopping trip to the Book Loft, roller coasters at Cedar Point, camping at Hocking Hill (only an hour-and-a-half drive, and they have a zip line!), and maybe a trip downtown to skate at the Ice Haus. I’ll have to check and see if the Student Union sells discounted tickets to any of these places, and then figure out how to fit them into my schedule.
chihuly_04chihuly_03cactus_chair