Work Smarter, Not Harder

This has been my motto for a while now. Not to say that I make a point of finding shortcuts, because I don’t, but to just step back and think for a second or two about what you have to get done, before you just jump in. Maybe a way to say it could be think more logically and systematically before you begin something? How does that sound?

My project for my IMS internship is finally underway. I have a meeting today with the redesign team, and Friday, I’m going to begin the real work on my project because I have 80% of the data I need. My project, so that you know what I’m talking about, includes looking at all of the students in the Nationwide Marketing University and, after putting them into groups of students who have taken approximately the same classes, developing a course plan which will enable them to graduate in a timely manner. When I was looking at the data (when I say data, it really means the spreadsheet of everyone who has taken a class), I started writing formulas to count the number of times a class was taken. If I had truly taken the advice of my motto, I would have looked through the entire file and noticed that this was already done for me. Brilliant! So anyway, it will be exciting to get that stuff going.

I have a second meeting this afternoon about an internship for the summer, and if it goes according to plan, I will have an internship by approximately 4:45 tonight! Woot! It’s very stress relieving to start figuring out my¬† plan for the summer, after the wedding. It seems like everything I’ve been doing has been to concentrate on planning, and not enough for my internship search. Not that it’s a bad thing, it’s just that you can tell where my priorities lie. :)

For now, that’s all. More updates as I work through my project and hopefully some good news about my meeting!

-Amanda