Fall Quarter Top Ten List – Guest Blogger

Guten tag. I am pleased to welcome another guest blogger – my core teammate and good friend, Gerrit Ockers. Take it away Gerry.

Hola, cómo estás? Me llamo Gerry. I’ve spent the past few months back in my hometown (after what seems like forever) rediscovering all the great things (and not so great) about college. Between classes, joining 6 (that’s SIX) different student organizations, learning Spanish, and securing an internship, it’s hard to believe there was any time for fun. Surprisingly, there was an abundance, in no small part because of the truly awesome people here at Fisher. I’m pleased to present my very own “Top 10 Moments” from the Fall Quarter 2009.

10. Fisher Games. Does it get any better than dodgeball with Fisher professors Ben “I must break you” Campbell and Larry “Some people can’t hack HR” Inks? Yes, according to this list.

9. 80′s Night party in the Fisher Commons’ “quad” results in Cops being called. Apparently some grad schoolers don’t realize this is really College, Part Deux.

8. Halloween Night party. BILLY MAYYYYYS HERRRRE!!!

7. Prisoner’s dilemma: The prisoner’s dilemma is a fundamental problem in game theory that demonstrates why two people might not cooperate even if it is in both their best interests to do so. Case in point – people at a party talk too loudly, so everyone talks louder – resulting in the cops being called to Claire’s apartment.

6. Yet another application of Economics principles: All-you-can-drink imports for $14 at Thirsty Scholar. The goal? To drink until the average total cost for each pint of Guinness was $1. I only made it to 11. Better luck next time.

5. Quote of the year in EPI class: “I could tell my wife, or my girlfriend… or both.”

4. Post-Fall Quarter celebration at the Varsity Club. So good to see classmates out having fun, especially those whose heads were buried in books for the previous 10 weeks.

3. Diwali night: the best sober time you’ll ever have. Think “So you think you can dance” meets India. The dance moves were INSANE.

2. Syrup race from Super Troopers: pain is temporary, pride is forever. [Not recommended for those with aversion to sweet items, diabetics, or anyone]. The best part was four guys standing in the syrup aisle at Kroger debating whether we wanted cancer (sugar-free syrup) or diabetes (traditional).

1. Identifying “the culprit” based on various hints. I’d say more, but I’d have to kill you.

And there you have it. Winter quarter has a lot to live up to, but if this week is any indication, things are only going to get better as the year goes on!