Allillanchu!!!

Allillanchu means hello in Quechua. You’re probably thinking what the heck is Quechua? Quechua is the local language spoken by the people that live on Isle Amantani, a small island in the middle of Lake Titicaca. This is one of the places I stayed for a night on my winter break trip to Peru.

Now your probably thinking, why Peru? Well as it turns out, one of my best friends is currently taking a year off from med school to do medical research in Peru. Needless to say this was a great excuse to visit, so one of my other friends and I flew down and spent two weeks traveling around visiting and staying with native people, white water rafting, paragliding, seeing Juanita the Ice Princess (a 600 year old Incan mummy), and of course Machu Picchu! Needless to say it was an amazing trip.

So why do I tell you about my trip and how does this make any sense with my Fisher experience. Well while being in business school, I have been exposed to different classes that teach economics, organization structure etc. These classes, while taught with American businesses in mind, can not only be applied internationally but to daily life also. After taking my economics class, I was able to get a little more understanding as to how the bus system, while insanely crowded, is the most efficient form possible in Lima. Or after my organizational behavior class, how one large restaurant chain has the same pushy way of operating in each location, not to drive business, but to meet the expectations of their customers.

While Peru was an amazing experience from a traveling point of view, my short time in b-school so far has given me another way to look at things, which was pretty cool too.

(P.S. What would a trip be without and O-H-I-O!!)

O-H-I-O Atop Machu Picchu

1 Response to “Allillanchu!!!”

1. 1 Josh January 11, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Great trip and great post. Saludos from Peru!