A Day at Nestlé

Today I traveled to Solon, OH with several Fisher MBA classmates to take a tour of the Nestlé campus and learn more about brand management opportunities at the company.  After the tour, it was clear that Nestlé is a unique place with remarkable brands.  I thought the most interesting part of the day was when two Marketing Associates spoke to us about their experience in the Toll House Cookie Dough Group during the E. coli recall several months ago.  I can’t think of a larger obstacle to overcome than a product recall, but this group never panicked.  After several weeks with the product off store shelves, the baking division re-launched the cookie dough in a slightly modified package highlighting that the product was safe.  Their initiatives were a major success and the Toll House brand suffered no major brand damage.  In fact, their sales this month are slightly higher than they were a year ago.

Tomorrow is the big game against Michigan.  I’ll be at the Buckeye Hall of Fame Cafe talking to prospective students about Fisher and all that it has to offer.  So if you’ll be there, please hold any questions until non-critical moments of the game. Thanks.

Author: Joseph Fahrendorf

• Born and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio • Attended St. Xavier H.S.; rowed on the crew team • Moved to Connecticut in 2002 for college; earned a degree in History • Hired in 2006 as an Associate for an executive recruiting and corporate governance firm in Greenwich, CT • Left my job in May 2009 to travel in China & Europe before starting FCOB