I love internet!

For a while, I was borrowing the neighbors’ internet connection until they recently decided to get secure. Then, I thought I could get away with not paying for the internet by using the Fisher computer lab, WiFi at Panera, etc. It was a good idea in theory, but I ended up spending more time getting to these places and scrubbing my hands in the bathroom after using a public keyboard than it was worth. So I made the decision today to pay for internet in my apartment again.

I was very excited when I realized that I didn’t actually have to go with the company that I was told I had to use. I won’t name that company in case I have to use them again one day, but only one hour into my new internet connection, I’m a much happier customer.

When I was with the “other” company, I still didn’t have internet access two months after they came to install it, for reasons that are still unknown. They gave me lots of excuses why it didn’t work, though. The third time I called tech support, one of their “senior” IT people told me that my internet wasn’t working because, “The entire internet is down.” I said, “Really? Do you have a computer on your desk?” She said, “Yes.” I said, “Is your internet working?” She said, “Ummm, yeaaaah.” It was worth paying for nothing just to have that story to tell over and over.

Is anyone out there disgruntled with their internet or cable companies? I’ve heard a lot of great stories so far!

6 Responses to “I love internet!”

1. 1 Jason Hart October 31, 2009 at 1:40 pm

I know you didn’t say “hate” and you didn’t name Time Warner, but I’m going to go ahead and say it… I sort of hate Time Warner, too.

Do I remember why? Nope, but I remember vowing never to use them if I had a choice after bad service in Oxford and again when I first moved to Columbus!

2. 2 Thais Ordine Doles November 2, 2009 at 8:52 pm

I couldn’t agree more with Jason, Mia. When I was leasing an apartment they told me that was all I could get and it was so overpriced and such a nightmare. My internet would be down all the time and I would have to go to cafes and what not to get free internet.

Once we bought our house, we were thrilled that we were able to get WOW! They have been great to us – so far.

3. 3 Mia McPherson November 2, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Ahh, you guys saw right through me! =) Time Warner – ugh. Here’s hoping that ATT is much better. So far, so good!

4. 4 Jason Hart November 4, 2009 at 12:22 pm

I’ve heard good things about U-Verse so I hope AT&T is better to you than Time Warner!

I also have WOW and my experience has been great; pretty reliable, OSU discounts, plus the installers and techs I’ve dealt with have been nothing but helpful & friendly!

5. 5 Mank Phenson November 9, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Whenever life gives me lemons, be they from poor customer service, overpriced text books or ejection from local drinking establishments, I try not to overreact. Instead, like you, I take comfort in the comments of friends, peers and colleagues via online blogging. Judging by the photo header at the top of this page, OSU graduate programs provide a remarkably perfect sampling of ethnicities and cultures with which to connect. May your diverse audience of concert violinists, lesbians, marathon runners and Nazi war criminals help you stay the course!

6. 6 Mia McPherson November 9, 2009 at 7:43 pm

Thank you for spreading that Christmas cheer! Do you work at Time Warner? ;)