Cheer for the Bucks in Block-O

This was my third time in the Shoe—the Ohio State University’s football stadium. The first time I was there, summer, no one was in the stadium. I had a nice bird view from the deck and got wonderful pictures. The second time I was there, MAcc orientation, I was invited to attend a social in the prestige Huntington Club. I enjoyed the private tour to the VIP suites and ESPN boxes, and “starred” on the 40 yard line. Saturday came the third visit to the Shoe. I stood in the front section of Block-O almost the whole game, cheering for our great Buckeye athletes beating the “unbeaten-back-then” Wisconsin.

Me at the game with the Ohio State Marching Band in the back!

Block-O refers to the two seating sections right behind the two field goals in the Shoe. Audience in these two sections, most of whom students, are to lead the cheering and to create excitement for the whole stadium. We generated waves, and did the “O-H-I-O” “merry-go-around” (I gave it this name), a lot of jumping, dancing, cheering, and “booing” (Wisconsin, of course). The 96 yard return by Ray Small to a touchdown started right in front of me. I also touched Brutus Buckeye, our mascot, who was lifted by the Block-O audience and sent to the upper Block-O section!! A bonus was, free Ohio State T-shirts were thrown to us once a while through the game!

Great thanks to Scott, my MAcc classmate, for the tickets!

Before you go, here are some tips for watching live game in the stadium. Eat beforehand as you will consume tons of energy. Drink enough water so that you don’t dry out, but drink just enough because there is way too much you can’t miss in the game.

1 Response to “Cheer for the Bucks in Block-O”

1. 1 Manru Xu October 13, 2009 at 8:18 pm

One more advice. Even if you don’t know much about football, especially if you are international student who have never experienced the American football spirit, you should go too!! Go with someone who can explain the rules for you. It’s not hard to learn. I am from China and I can say I am half international, but I learned the rules well (well enough to enjoy the game). You can do it too! Really, really, really!