Detroit Trip

I would say one of the great things about being in Columbus, Ohio is the accessibility you have to other neighboring cities such as Chicago, Indianapolis, or of course Detroit!  After the first week of graduate school I needed to get my mind off things and refocus!  I wasn’t overwhelmed just yet, but I could feel the emotion rising inside.  Luckily, it was my friend’s 24th birthday this past weekend and it allowed me the opportunity to get away.  The drive to Detroit from Columbus is about 3.5 hours, not too bad.  I was particularly excited about this trip because:

1. I had never been to Detroit

2. My friend was also my college roommate in undergrad and I hadn’t seen her since graduation (2 years ago)

3. Two of our other friends lived there and I hadn’t seen them in a year

Consequently, I had a lot to look forward to.  Usually I feel like a 32 year old trapped in a early 20 year old body, because my life is just that uneventful.  However, this past weekend made me feel like the 23 year old that I am.  The weekend was mostly spent celebrating her birthday in two of Detroit’s casinos, Motor City and MGM Grand.  Unfortunately, I didn’t get to see much of Detroit, yet I am positive this will not be my last trip to Detroit.  At the end of the weekend, I felt renewed!  Sometimes you need that little getaway to get your life back in order. So many changes have been made and this past weekend really allowed me the opportunity to just relax and let everything settle for a bit.  First, I was getting acclimated to Columbus, and then graduate school. It all happened so fast!  Since I got back from my trip I feel less worried about graduate school, and am feeling more comfortable as each day passes by.

Moral of the story:  Don’t be afraid to take a break while in graduate school. Sometimes refocusing your energy is all you need to get back on track and in the game!