Syllabus Reviews and Laptop troubles: The First Week of Class

The first week is actually more exciting then my title claims but when you get down to it that’s what usually ends up happening, reviewing the syllabus for an hour and then trying to figure out why your laptop won’t work. Needless to say everything worked out but that’s the first week for you.

My first day consisted of two classes, Organizational Behavior and Financial Accounting. All first quarter classes are part of the core requirements for first year MBA students so your classes are filled with familiar faces along with professors I had met during orientation (I wont write about orientation because plenty of other bloggers have and I agree with everything they have mentioned). The one thing that made these classes more interesting then their topics of discussion are the professors. The first class, Organizational Behavior is co-taught by two professors that are not only academics but have also worked in the industry that they teach. They bring anecdotes from their experiences as well as their knowledge making the class seem like a discussion rather then a lecture. Also our accounting class is taught by a professor that had recently came from Booth (University of Chicago) so to all those MBA students at University of Chicago, well I won’t say it but you can catch my get my jist.

Our second day consisted of two other classes, Managerial Economics and Data Analysis. Our economics professor was great at setting the mood for the class and we were able to move through the syllabus quickly and on to a discussion about a case we had to read for class. It was really fun to be able to throw ideas across a room of 75 of your peers and brainstorm out loud while learning about the economics of management structure. The Data Analysis class (a yawn from some) looks like it is going to start out slow but I am actually interested in the class and learning how to play around with excel a little more.

Outside of class there have been a billion things going on. Having worked for a few years (I’ll get into my background in a future post and why I chose fisher) it is a nice change of pace to be back in school but also different in that each day needs to be structured more on your own that by a typical boss at work. Finding time to study hasn’t been hard but as events continue to come up such as EOTWs (Event Of The Week, offered by the B-school on Thursdays after class at a local bar), company meet and greets and club meetings, I am sure finding time to get all my reading in will be much harder but for now it has been OK.

As for social activities there is no lack whatsoever. As I mentioned to a classmate/friend (no longer are we classmates, I think most of us are now friends) of mine the other night, “I think my Drinking Program has an MBA problem.” I kid but there have been more then plenty of times when us first year students have ventured to a local bar to not only explore the area but also get to know each other, over many CHEAP beers. This continues tonight as we have an 80′s themed night where we are all going to head out to the bars dressed as, well 80′s people.

So for now I gotta run and get my elastic banded whitewash jeans with zip pockets and some Reebok pumps. For the next blog post, a review of what’s on High Street.