Getting to Know You, Getting to Know All About You!

If there is one thing I learned in my first year of the MLHR program, is the importance of building relationships.  Throughout our careers, we are going to be subject to hundreds of networking events.  Some good, some not so good.  In my personal experience, however, the relationships you build here at Fisher are going to last a lifetime.

Grad school is an influential part of our lives and can in some way even define who we are.  That first day of classes, when we go around the room and do introductions, you may find people you have things in common with, and you may find people who have life experiences very foreign to your own.

My advice to incoming first years, don’t dismiss this.  Take a valid interest in getting to know each and every one of your classmates.  Everyone has something to offer.  Part of this will come with time through the countless group projects.  Others will be social contacts.

My point is, give it some heart.  Genuinely care about what people have to say and don’t dismiss new thoughts and ideas.  Yes in grad school we are learning course material, but more so, we are learning how to be high performance individuals.

Don’t forget:  second year students, professors, and other faculty and staff are invaluable resources.  For first years, when you are hunting for internships, and for alumni when you are looking for new positions, the people you get to know at Fisher will always be there.

Get to know them!