The Curvy Road I Took to Fisher College of Business

I got so excited about telling everyone about The Thurman Café that I forgot to introduce myself.  I would like to give you a little bit of background on how I ended up choosing to attend The Fisher College of Business.  I was definitely not one of those lucky undergraduate students who knew exactly what they wanted to major in.  In the four and a half years that I spent at Purdue, I changed my major five times.  Although, I have always known that I wanted to pursue a graduate degree in…something!

After changing my mind a million times as to, “what I wanted to be when I grew up,” I finally graduated from Purdue on a brisk negative degree day in December of 2004.  I remember standing in line with the other graduates and I leaned over to the student in front of me and said, “Wow, it is so cold!  I’m glad I’m moving to Austin next week!”  So, that was it.  I packed up my things and moved to Austin with no clue as to what I would be doing for work.  After six weeks of no leads in Austin, the panic was deeply set.  “Oh my gosh!  What did I do?  What was I thinking?”  Then, finally, “Whew,” I was offered a job as a Personal Assistant at a small Real Estate company, and I thought, “Okay, this will do for now.”  I actually ended up absolutely loving it.  After eleven months with the company I was promoted and became the company’s first Operations Manager.  I obviously had a lot to learn, but this is where I fell in love with Human Resources.

To make a long story short, after a couple of years as the Operations Manager of this company, I decided to move back to the Midwest to be closer to family.  Unfortunately, I moved back just as the economy was starting its downward spiral.  I sent out many resumes with no luck and decided that this was the perfect time for me to pursue that graduate degree in…something, and that something I had decided must be Human Resources. It is my passion. So, it seems that the sometimes scary, curvy road of life led me to my perfect destination after all.  I’m so excited to be a student at the Fisher College of Business!