And So It Begins…

A day in the life of Shawn and the BFL program.

Hello Everyone!

My first blog is going to be a little overview of myself and what I do on a daily basis, but I plan on making this interesting, so please read on!

I work for a company in Columbus called Abbott Nutrition. You may know them from the great product they manufacture, such as Similac®, Ensure®, ZonePerfect®, or EAS®.  I work specifically with the EAS products and the Body-for-LIFE® program.

I basically work as an over-the-phone personal trainer, assisting callers with the Body-for-LIFE program and all of the specifics it entails. I will provide a broad overview of the program- and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

So the BFL program is an integrated system of high intensity interval training, nutrition, supplementation and goal setting. Here are some details about the weight training and cardiovascular aspects of the program:

• Weight train, intensely, for no more than 46 minutes, three times per week: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Perform 20 minutes of aerobic exercise, first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, three times per week: Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Take Sunday off- it’s your free day!
  • Alternate training the major muscles of the upper and lower body. For example, the first week, train upper body on Monday, lower body on Wednesday, and upper body on Friday. The second week train lower body on Monday, upper body on Wednesday and the lower body on Friday.
  • Perform two exercises for each major muscle group of the upper body, which includes: chest, shoulders, back triceps, and biceps; and for the lower body: quadriceps, hamstrings, and calves. Train the abdominal muscles after lower body.
  • Select one exercise for each muscle group and conduct five sets, starting with a set of 12 reps, then increasing the weight and doing 10 reps, adding more weight and doing eight reps, adding more weight and doing six reps. Then reduce the weight, do 12 more reps, and immediately go to another set of 12 reps of another exercise for that muscle group.
  • On all lifts, use a cadence of two seconds (say “I am building my Body-for-Life”) to lower the weight and on second (say “Body-for-Life”) to lift it, and “hold” in the top and bottom positions for a count of “one.”
  • For each muscle group, rest for one minute between the first four sets. Then complete the final two sets with no rest in between. Wait two minutes before moving on to your next muscle group. Complete this pattern five times for the upper body training experience and four times for the lower body training experience.
  • Follow the Intensity Index pattern and push yourself to reach higher every week.
  • Always plan your training beforehand. Plan what time you’re going to exercise, which particular exercises you’ll be doing, how much weight you’ll be lifting, and how long it will take you to complete the session.

The cardiovascular workout:

1. Warm up the first 2 minutes at Intensity Level 5
  2. Minutes 2-3 move from Intensity Level 5 to 6
  3. Minutes 4-5, 6-10 and 11-14 work your way from Intensity Level 6 to Level 9, maintain for one minute.
  4. Minutes 15-19 work your way from Intensity Level 6 to Level 10 (High Point at Level 10), maintain for one minute.
  5. Minute 20 cool down to Intensity Level 5 for one minute.

Here are some tips on healthy eating:

• Eat six small meals a day, one every two to three hours.
  • Eat a portion of protein and carbohydrates with each meal.
  • Add a portion of vegetables to at least two meals daily.
  • A portion is the amount of an authorized food approximately the size of the palm of your hand or your clenched fist.
  • Consume one tablespoon of unsaturated oil daily (healthy fat) or three portions of salmon per week.
  • Drink at least 10 cups of water a day.
  • Use performance-nutrition shakes if necessary to make sure you’re consuming optimal levels of required nutrients.
  • Plan your meals in advance, and record what you eat.
  • Plan your grocery list.

Once a week, on your free day, eat WHATEVER you want!

Hopefully, if you read through the entire blog, you learned something new! My goal is to post something “healthy” at least once a week. Since I am in the Working Professionals MBA program, I have class from 6PM-10PM and it is virtually impossible to stay focused after 8 hours of work. The key is to provide your body with nutritious snacks to keep your mind sharp.

Hope you enjoyed the overview of what I do everyday, and I look forward to you coming back for more!