No ready no set just…Go.

First thing is first, I wasn’t necessarily expecting a “ready” or a “set” but I sure was not ready for just a “go.”  Welcome to grad school.

For undergrad I attended a small liberal arts college here in the lovely state of Ohio called Ohio Wesleyan University.  It was a campus where you knew everyone and everyone knew you and you were able to ease your way into things since you do have four years of undergrad.

A year and four months after graduating with a BA in History (yes history…believe it or not it was interesting and I am a pretty good writer thanks to my undergrad major) I am here at Ohio State pursuing not one degree like any sane person would do, but two.  I will be here for three years and (hopefully) graduate in June of 2012 with a degree in Labor and Human Resources (the MLHR program) from Fisher but also with a Master in Higher Education and Student Affairs through the College of Education and Human Ecology. I will get into why I chose to do this program in a later post but suffice it to say that while I know it is what I want to do, it does make life more complicated.

So back to the go part.  I have a graduate administrative assistant position at Fisher in the Office of Career Management (which I love more everyday–also a later post) and training began this past Monday and ends this coming Tuesday.  I also had MLHR orientation Monday night which was four hours of information that was definitely helpful and necessary but I must say that after training from 8:30 to 4:30 and then orientation from 5 to 9ish I was tired and cranky by the end of the day. In addition to job training and orientation I have also been busy figuring out what companies to apply to interview with for summer internships because the on campus interviews take place the beginning of October.  I’m trying to do this research now before classes start Wednesday because I have a funny feeling that grad school classes = a lot of work.

I need a nap and the school year is just beginning!  It may sound like I’m whining but I’m actually really excited to jump into everything here at Fisher and OSU.  After this past year of living at home and working it is a breath of fresh air to be doing things that excite me and to feel like a productive citizen again. Everyone I’ve met here so far have been so friendly and helpful that it’s already starting to feel like home.

I hope everyone has a great weekend (Go Bucks!) and I’ll be back soon!