Buckeye Checklist

Yay it’s Saturday! I am a football fan and every football fan knows how lovely Saturdays are in autumn. Switching channels, watching highlights in half-time reports, sharing opinions with friends, and cheering for my favorite team (it’s now 31 to nothing Ohio State at Toledo), how can I ask for more?

Since the game is getting slower as Ohio State is having a big lead, I would like to take time to share something with all the buckeyes and potential buckeyes. You may not be a football fan and you don’t have to know the difference between “touchdown” and “safety”, but there is something you have to do as a proud buckeye—love the school and appreciate her history and traditions. Here’s a checklist:

• Know the year the school was established—Ohio State University in 1870, Fisher College of Business in 1916.
  • Get an Ohio State T-shirt—you can wear it to a ball game and wear it to any extra-curricular events to show your school pride.
  • Watch at least one football game at the Shoe (the stadium)—I am working on this.
  • Know how to sing the Ohio State fight songs, especially Carmen Ohio.

Carmen Ohio is sung after every home game, “win or lose”. Attached below are the lyrics of Carmen Ohio. Usually only the first verse is sung. Please refer to Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmen_Ohio for more information about Carmen Ohio.

Carmen Ohio
Oh! Come let’s sing Ohio’s praise,
And songs to Alma Mater raise;
While our hearts rebounding thrill,
With joy which death alone can still.
Summer’s heat or Winter’s cold,
The seasons pass, the years will roll;
Time and change will surely show
How firm thy friendship O-hi-o.

These jolly days of priceless worth,
By far the gladest days of earth,
Soon will pass and we not know,
How dearly we love O-hi-o.
We should strive to keep the name,
Of fair repute and spotless fame,
So, in college halls we’ll grow,
To love thee better, O-hi-o.

Tho’ age may dim our mem’ry’s store,
We’ll think of happy days of yore,
True to friend and frank to foe,
As sturdy sons of O-hi-o.
If on seas of care we roll,
‘Neath blackened sky, o’er barren shoal,
Tho’ts of thee bid darkness go,
Dear Alma Mater O-hi-o.

(And don’t forget the “O-H(I)-O” gesture at end of the song)
Note: The lyrics are quoted from the Ohio State University News Room website:
http://www.osu.edu/news/history.php You can find more fight songs on the website too.

Last but not least, know why our colors are Scarlet and Gray. If you have not had the answer, check out my next update. Hint: The answer can be found in the Thompson Library.

Scores update: Ohio State won the game against Toledo 38 to nothing, final score. Go Bucks!

3 Responses to “Buckeye Checklist”

1. 1 Henry Tsai September 20, 2009 at 12:20 pm

As a complement to Manru’s post, if you already are a college football fan, then you are in for a treat. At the MAcc reception not only were we able to network with the faculty, our peers, and recruiters from various major public accounting firms, but we also had a private tour of the Ohio Stadium, at the field level!!!

2. 2 Caibing September 23, 2009 at 10:20 am

Actually, I just want to try how to comment on your new blog,haha

3. 3 Manru September 23, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Aw thank you guys for posting comments on my blog!! Welcome!

Caibing, please feel free to explore our GradLife blog website. Keep me updated how are you doing and share any interesting stuff here. I am always open for questions too (except those that are too private/personal)

Henry, you are right! The reception and tour were really cool! I wish the football players were also there. =) JK.