Opportunity, Not a Lengthy Visitor

Thomas Lowden, a rising junior at Ohio State, shares his journey full of self-discovery and opportunities as he travelled across the pond and was fortunate enough to call London home for eight weeks as a part of the Summer Global Internship Program.

Last summer, I had the opportunity to be a part of the 2017 Freshman Global Lab, studying in Hamburg, Germany for four weeks. Amidst the bratwurst, bier, and schnitzel, I was bitten by the “travel bug” and already started planning my next adventure. Shortly after returning to campus in Autumn 2017, I began looking into the Summer Global Experience Program and started to weigh my options between locations and industries. Here, you will find my journey throughout Europe, a time where I was able to discover more about myself and did not let a single opportunity slip from my grasp.

My experience abroad this summer started a few weeks earlier than most as I did something that I recommend any participant of a Fisher Abroad program do if they have the means, and that is to travel before the program begins. It is a relaxing way to start your journey and adjust to any time zone differences before you get wrapped up in the hustle and bustle of your program. Also, since I have done both, be sure to travel beforehand as trust me, you do not want to be lugging your souvenirs and luggage from your program around for an aditional week or two. To save money, split an Airbnb (stay in a central location, even if it is a bit farther out from the airport) with friends and make sure to visit cheap eats (in most cases, it is also better food

With two weeks and a scavenger hunt with some fellow Buckeyes under my belt, I was ready to leave my American comforts behind and dive head first into my internship at GHO Capital, a private equity firm in the mid-market healthcare space. My typical day in the office consisted of team meetings, data analysis, conducting market research, and creating PowerPoints based on my findings. A piece of advice for those who are still deciding on which career path to embark on. Take your time and enter every situation with an open mind. If you are like myself and your internship is in an industry that you cannot exactly see yourself in, being flexible and learning everything you possibly can will help you build upon those technical and soft skills, which WILL be applicable to your future job.

One of the great things about London, is that there are so many unique destinations just a few hours on a train away. One of my favorite parts of the program has to be the weekends exploring Europe with my friends. If you choose to intern in London, be sure to check out Brighton, a beach on the English Channel, as well as Stonehenge, Bath, and Windsor. You will not regret it!

If you prefer to stay more local, that is entirely okay as well! There are so many opportunities in London to find what interests you. Whether it be sports, musicals, or shopping, there is something for everyone. While here, I was able to explore one of my biggest passions, theatre. Unlike the United States, history and the arts are integral parts in London’s culture, making for cheap theatre tickets and free museum entries! While in London, I was able to see 12 different musicals on the West End! If you are interested in learning more, I typically used LondonBoxOffice.co.uk or TodayTix, however, some of the shows offer lotteries or cheap tickets the day of the show so be sure to keep an eye out for those!

Now, what you really come to London for, besides the lowered drinking age and the accents of course, is an opportunity to get out of your comfort zone and expand your horizons. While in London, I took a chance and decided to sign up for the British 10k on July 15th, 2018. Throughout the race, there were numerous times that I wanted to walk or slow down, but believing in myself and trusting my abilities kept me pushing and I was actually able to beat my goal of 1:00:00 with a finish time of 00:56:44. This experience provided me with one of the main life lessons that I am taking away from this trip and that is to not be afraid to take a chance, push your limits, and make a great memory. Who knows, you might even find a new passion.

Whether you are debating participating in the Fisher Summer Global Internship or you have already signed up, this is not only a great opportunity to add a unique experience to your resume, but it is also a great way to grow personally and professionally and gain a greater appreciation for the world and its various cultures. I am beyond grateful that I was able to capitalize on this opportunity and discover more than I thought was possible about myself. Getting out of my comfort zone and taking a chance allowed me to make new friends, try new foods, and see new things. An opportunity, is here for just but a second and we must do everything we can to not let it slip away. Now, it’s time for me to start planning my next journey. Cheers!