Top 5 – Highlights of Copenhagen

Taylor Hassel, 2017 participant in Sustainable Business Global Lab, shares her photos of the must-visit places in Copenhagen, Denmark.

As I traveled to Europe for the first time this past May with the Sustainable Business Global Lab, I had no idea what to expect. As many eager travelers do, I spent my weeks leading up to the trip Googling and researching all of the places I would soon be seeing. Yet nothing could have prepared me for the vast differences and experiences I was about to encounter. Traveling to The Netherlands and Denmark opened my eyes to the differences between the United States and Europe, and exposed me to places and things I have been beyond grateful to experience.

The following are some what I found to be the highlights of the time I spent in the capital of Denmark, Copenhagen:

1.  Nyhavn – As one of the first images that pops up when looking up Copenhagen, Nyhavn did not disappoint. A beautiful port in the heart of Copenhagen became the perfect place to grab a bite to eat, have some afternoon ice cream, or just sit and people watch. It was easily one of the most crowded places we visited, but seeing the beautiful buildings and enjoying the atmosphere made it a can’t-miss sight.
  2. The Little Mermaid – Another popular tourist attraction, the Little Mermaid was a small but beautiful statue a short walk away from Nyhavn. As one of the most notable attractions in Denmark, the statue is often surrounded by tourists, but it has a rich history behind it. The statue also sits near a quaint park that truly rounds out the whole experience. 
  3. Church of Our Savior – Of all of the beautiful churches we visited while in country, the Church of Our Savior stands out, and not just for its iconic spiral tower. We were lucky enough to witness the church’s massive organ, which has more than 4,000 pipes. Additionally, after a 400 step trek, we were able to stand at the top of the spiral, which offers an amazing bird’s eye view of the city.
  4. Tivoli Gardens – As a die-hard Disney fan, the inspiration behind the Disney parks was at the top of my list of things to do in Copenhagen. Tivoli is a small amusement park, with plenty of rides, beautiful gardens, and of course, plenty of food. It is a great place to spend an afternoon releasing your inner child.
  5. Papirøen – Translated to “Paper Island”, Papirøen is the heart of Copenhagen’s street food. With booths representing cultures from all around the world, it makes for a very tough decision when it comes time to eat. Located across from Nyhavn, Papirøen also offers a beautiful view of the canal and makes for an awesome experience.

Taylor Hassel

Taylor Hassel is a junior studying data analytics with a specialization in business. In May 2017, she traveled to Europe to participate in Fisher's Sustainable Business Global Lab. Taylor hopes to use the knowledge she gained from this experience to make positive impacts and initiate sustainable practices with her future employer.