Deutschland: A Fascinating Transition

Taking the step to study abroad for the entire 2016 autumn semester at the WHU-Otto Beisheim School of Management, Colleen Sauer talks about her preparations and initial transition to her time in Germany.

When I used to picture myself studying abroad on the Student Exchange Program, I anticipated that I would eventually adjust and have wonderful adventures, but only a few weeks of a lot of fear and culture shock. Yes, I had a bit of that the first few weeks that I’ve been here, but I can now tell you that starting my time here has been so exciting and full of growth.

For today’s post, I want to start by talking a little bit about my preparations before arriving and how I’ve navigated so far. The first lesson I learned was to use my network, and to not be afraid to ask for help. Months leading up to my departure, I started reaching out to friends who either live in Germany currently or spent some time there, even if I hadn’t spoken to them in some time. After some digging I even found out that my friend Dominic who was an exchange student at my high school currently attends WHU (Crazy coincidence!). In other cases, I had friends who heard I was going to Germany and contacted me. Talking to people with experience was the best preparation I could have had, from learning more about WHU, to simple things like how to navigate the grocery store. Plus, it was amazing to hear their stories! It made me so excited to come to Germany.

One thing that has made my transition much easier was being able to meet all of the other “tauschies” (the term they use at WHU to refer to an exchange student here), early on through events put on by WHU. It’s amazing to now have friends from all over the world, who have the same excitement for Germany and to meeting new people! At the International Dinner tauschie event last week, we were able to share our cultures through food, where we introduced ourselves and presented a typical food from our country—I made mac and cheese. A few German students also come to our tauschie events, so it’s also been really nice to get to know the locals and feel more integrated within the WHU community.

14207642_1169644963101013_3090993761022815009_o

The International Dinner took place in WHU’s vaulted cellar

Aside from talking about normal life here, I’ve also traveled every weekend thus far! Before coming here I pictured myself not feeling comfortable enough to travel until the third weekend or so, but with the help of my adventurous tauschie friends I proved myself wrong. The first weekend I went for a day trip to Frankfurt, Germany, which was a really neat city and a great way to make new friends. On Monday I returned from Luxembourg (And no, I didn’t have class that day) which was so beautiful!

14195437_10154499156917486_517544463581257454_o
Day trip to Frankfurt, Germany the first weekend.
14285678_1398397823508104_1904555912_o
A beautiful view of Luxembourg city

I’m excited to continue to add to the list of countries I’ve visited. This transition into life in Germany has had its set of challenges, from the language barrier to learning the transportation system, but through the support of WHU, my friends and family, I’ve had a much easier time adjusting than I anticipated. I expect I’ll have many more adventures to write about in the future, as I explore the Deutsches Eck (the German Corner—aka Koblenz) and the surrounding cities and countries. Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for more posts!

Colleen Sauer

Colleen Sauer is a junior at Fisher College of Business specializing in Marketing, with an International Relations and Diplomacy minor. During the 2016 autumn semester she is participating in the Student Exchange Program, where she is studying at WHU- Otto Beisheim School of Management in Koblenz, Germany. She gives tours of Ohio State to prospective students and their families as a OSU University Ambassador, and with Ohio Staters, Inc she promotes the welfare and traditions of The Ohio State University through projects and events. She has previously been to Honduras.

1 thought on “Deutschland: A Fascinating Transition”