Zhujiajiao – Shanghai’s Venice

With our final presentation behind, we had 2 full days for shopping and sightseeing before getting on the plane to Columbus. Most of Thursday was spent on shopping. We walked around Nanjing road shopping mall purchasing sundry items such as purses, compact make up mirrors, sports jerseys, scarves etc.

Friday, the last day of our stay, we decided to do some last minute sightseeing. We took a bus to Zhujiajiao, an ancient water town that is about an hour away from Shanghai. The trip was well worth it, the view was scenic and breathtaking.

A view of the water town

A view of the water town

Water canal that runs through the middle of the town

Zhujiajiao means “Zhu Settlement” or “Zhu Family Corner” in mandarin. This town also has another elegant name called “Pearl Stream”.  This little town is the best-preserved among the ancient towns in Shanghai. From the pictures posted, you can view unique old bridges, small rivers shaded by willow trees, gondolas gliding on the canal and houses with courtyards. The whole environment magically transported us to a new world full of antiquity, leisure and tranquility.

Ancient bridge

Ancient bridge

My friends standing over a covered archway

backyards

Backyards

with trees

Scenic view of houses

water town (2)

Boat docking station

While we were in the town, we visited another local tourist attraction –                             The City God temple.

The Main hall of the City God Temple

The main hall of the City God temple

CGT3

A closer view of the main entrance

Pictures below are from the interior portion of the temple –

The City Gods

The City Gods

Inside CGTCGT4 CTG5

Another portion of the temple was dedicated to Buddha

Buddha temple

Buddha temple

My friends were very happy with the trip and we all returned to Shanghai well satisfied. I sensed the trip to Zhujiajiao appeased my thirsts for sightseeing and I was ready to pack my bags to come back home.