I overpacked…

Sooooo it’s been 16 days since we’ve arrived in Ethiopia and I’ve taken close to 1300 pictures (almost 15 gigs worth) and not one is of the rock where Simba was first introduced to the kingdom… still not happy about that one. Yes, we’re the team that hit the goat (at least we think it’s a goat) during a 14.5 hour drive. Yes, we’re the team, I can happily say, that has experienced an ailment (mostly stomach) of some sort. Yes, we’re the team that “trekked” the “Roof of Africa” aka The Simien Mountains. Yes, we’re the team that “pays” roughly $15 total for 5-star quality dinners (HA!). Yes, we’re the team that’s seen one too many naked men roaming the streets. And yes, I am the man who has harnessed his inner Steve Irwin (too soon?) and Austin Stevens to capture it all on film… well almost all of it. I decided to use roughly 2.6% of the pictures I’ve taken to show the beauty of Ethiopia… remember, T.I.A! (“This is Africa” for all of you farnajis)

Be forwarned… the blog system forces me to compress my beautiful 5MB+ pics to less than 1MB, so I apologize for the quality or lack thereof:

First Picture in Ethiopia... view from the hotel

First Picture in Ethiopia… view from the hotel of Addis Ababa

mmmmmmm

mmmmmmm

the countryside

the countryside

don't go chasin waterfalls...

“don’t go chasin waterfalls…”

looks friendly up until he bites your face off!

Danielle said this is a hibiscus, I told her it's a red flower.

Danielle said this is a hibiscus, I told her it’s a red flower.

10 people + 14 person van + ALLLLL the luggage + potentially a goat/sheep = too close for comfort

10 people + 14 person van + ALLLLL the luggage + potentially a goat/sheep as the 15th passenger = too close for comfort

O-H-I-O: Rift Valley style

O-H-I-O: Rift Valley style

a yellow flower

a yellow flower

Walia Ibex; an endangered species. These are 3 of the roughly 500 remaining.

a pink flower

a pink flower

O-H-I-O: Fasil Castle style

O-H-I-O: Fasil Castle style

Simien Mountains... up in the clouds

Simien Mountains… up in the clouds

"Dangerous for your life"... that edge leads to death

“Dangerous for your life”… this edge leads to death

Remembering my elementary education that the Nile flows south to North. Here's where it starts, along with some hippos or crocodiles or something.

I remembered my elementary education. The Nile flows south to north and this is where it  starts. There are some hippos or crocodiles or something in the water.

Simien Mountains take 2

Simien Mountains take 2

almost 14000 feet above sea level

almost 14000 feet above sea level

you're welcome...

you’re welcome…

We, as humans, can learn from this picture. Baboons, goat, sheep, bovine, horses, etc all graze together in the fields. There are no feuds, no hate, no anger, just togetherness.

We, as humans, can learn from this picture. Baboons, goat, sheep, bovine, horses, etc all graze together in the fields. There are no feuds, no hate, no anger, just togetherness… not sure what happened when we left, but still a learning moment!

African Sunrise... from the hotel room

African Sunrise

every time we stopped in what seemed to be a deserted area, a group of kids would come out of nowhere and run to our van. We gave them some pens and they naturally formed an O-H-I-O without instruction.

soaking it in.

soaking ALL of it in.

This concludes my post, however as the title indicates, I overpacked. One bag is (was) full of food (thanks mom!), anti-digestive issue meds, other various meds, a router which Danny and I just killed, toilet paper that is still packed, sugar-free lemon drops whose main ingredient  induces laxative effects (the worst), lysol wipes, toiletries, oatmeal, protein powder, peanut butter, tortillas, raw nuts, granola bars, soy nuts, bug spray, tissue packs, vitamins, ponchos, power strips and power converters. The other bag contains clothing. I’m sure I missed something, but needless to say, I overpacked.

2 thoughts on “I overpacked…

1. Hey mate, looks good. The world is a beautiful place. Make sure through your busy schedule that you take time to really enjoy the sights, sounds and smells.

2. Beautiful pictures! Those are priceless! My favorite is the African Sunrise