The great beginning of Brasil!

IMG_0868 (598x800)

From arriving here in Piracicaba , Brasil around three weeks ago, I can easily say traveling abroad is the best decision I have made in my life. The difficulties I have faced are nothing compared to the experiences I have been able to obtain in only the three weeks I have been here. The first few days were a struggle because I came to Brasil with only the memorization of about 5 phrases of Portuguese. At this time there were only 3 roommates in the Rupublica, a fraternity house in the United States, that spoke no English. However it was nothing that Google Translate couldn’t fix. They were still extremely welcoming and took me everywhere they went. This is when I started to become obsessed with the Brazilian culture. Everyone I have met, doesn’t matter from what background, has been extremely nice. They greet everyone personally and care for others more than themselves. From getting a litter of Brahma during dinner to water at the Futbol game, everything is shared among each other. Everyone is happy to live life and that’s what I love about Brasil. I have also been very fortunate with my academic adviser, Dr. Martines, who has already done so much for Kelly and I here at ESALQ.

Kelly and I walking to ESALQ!

We personally meet with all of our Professors before classes started and thank god they are in English! We were even lucky enough to sit in a meeting with the Dean and directors of all the departments here at ESALQ.  It was amazing to see how even such important people at EASLQ communicate in such a personable way. Another amazing part of the Brazilian culture is that they love to have fun. In only three weeks of being here I have been to…

The XV Piracicaba vs. São Paulo futbol gameFutbol Game

The pre-carnival in Piracicaba

3 Brazilian barbecues which are amazing

Brazilian Barbecue

Rua do Porto which is a huge market district by the  river

Rua do Porto

…shopping at the mall in Piracicaba and a high school get together in Riterao Preto with my roommates. To talk about all of these things would be way to long but trust me they were all phenomenal! For carnival I am lucky enough to go to Rio de Janerio and will have more than enough to talk about when I get back!