If you are an ambitious individual with a passion for a professional career in finance, we are looking for you. The Fisher SMF program is a generalist graduate terminal degree in Finance with an applied orientation. SMF is suitable for individuals with prior studies in finance or business as well as those who seek a career change, but have had prior studies in engineering, computer science, economics, mathematics, or a related field or have had relevant prior work experience in business or finance. The program aims at providing strong training for entry-level or more experienced analyst positions across multiple areas of finance.
If you are interested in graduate management education, a program such as Fisher’s MBA may be more appropriate for you.
Once your complete application is received, it is scheduled for review by the admissions committee. We will be in touch with you within six to eight weeks to let you know our decision. International applications may take more time to complete the application review process. International students are encouraged to complete their applications as early as possible to ensure prompt financial review if they are recommended for admission.
In all cases, the admissions committee will only review files that are complete. Please see below below for a listing of items that constitutes a complete application.
A complete application includes
- A completed SMF application online form
- Application processing fee - payable via credit card upon online application submission
- At least three (3) references that can speak to your potential to be successful in the program. We recommend at least two of your letters of reference be from academic sources. You will have the opportunity to ask your references to submit either electronic or paper letters of reference on your behalf when you submit your online application.
- A detailed resume--The Fisher SMF program admissions committee views work experience as desirable but not necessary. Undergraduate academic record, reference letters, evidence of leadership experience and official test scores (GMAT and TOEFL, if applicable) play a more significant role in a complete application evaluation. You will have the opportunity to upload your resume as an attachment during the online application submission process.
- 2-3 Essays. All applicants are required to complete 2 essays. (The essay questions are included in the application.) If your undergraduate degree was in something other than finance, you must submit an essay on how your educational background prepared you for the Fisher SMF program. You will submit your essays electronically as part of your online application submission.
- ONE official transcript of record (degree certificate, provisional certificate, mark sheets) of all university academic course work is required for admission to The Ohio State University. Official transcripts are those provided in a sealed envelope by the institution attended. Alternatively, applicants may upload a copy of his/her official transcripts as part of his/her application. (See instructions included within online application for more information.)
- Transcripts should include all work previously completed and work currently in progress. You should contact each institution you attended and request that one official transcript/record of all courses completed there be sent to our SMF office. Separate transcripts must be submitted if you received any transfer credit from another university(ies).
- Important: Send your official transcripts to SMF Admissions Office; Fisher College of Business; 100 Gerlach Hall; 2108 Neil Ave; Columbus OH 43210-1144. Certified English translations must be provided if the originals are not in English.
- Standardized Test Scores - GMAT and (if applicable) TOEFL
- All applicants to the Fisher College of Business SMF programs are required to take the GMAT. The GRE will not be accepted in place of the GMAT. The testing company must send your official score report directly to the Fisher College of Business in order for your application to be considered complete.
- International applicants must take the TOEFL. Waivers of this requirement are rarely granted. Please contact the Graduate School's Admissions Office (614.292.9444 or email@example.com) for specific information.
- The GMAT and TOEFL can be taken at a number of locations. Please contact the following companies directly for further information
- GMAT—www.mba.com or 1-800 GMAT NOW (toll free in the US and Canada)
- TOEFL—609-771-7100, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Per university policy, the Fisher SMF program will accept ibTOEFL scores that are 79 or higher. We recommend scoring at least 100 on the ibTOEFL with 24 or higher on the speaking portion of the ibTOEFL to be minimally competitive.
Do not send extra copies of materials to us via surface mail that you have already provided to us in your online application. The only materials that should arrive in the Fisher Admissions Office via surface mail are:
- Official transcripts
- Recommendations from any of your references who have chosen not to use the online option.
Please mail the required items described above to
SMF Admissions Office
Fisher College of Business
The Ohio State University
100 Gerlach Hall
2108 Neil Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210-1144