Ask an Alum: Networking Tips
The following are important points to keep in mind when developing professional contacts.
- In your initial e-mail or outreach to a contact, please note how you obtained the contact’s information. In addition, provide background information on yourself and share your career goals and experiences.
- Ask for advice, not a job or internship position.
- Respect their time.
- Once your contact has responded to your initial outreach, please make every effort to respond in a reasonable time.
- Conduct research on the company/industry/career and prepare questions to ask during the informational interview (see sample questions below).
- Follow-up promptly with a thank you e-mail or letter.
- Stay in touch and keep a contact informed of your progress.
- You may wish to continue your contact through e-mail, telephone, or personal/group meetings.