Australia Summer Internship Program
Now is the time to apply for a global internship experience in Australia
Application DEADLINE CLOSED!
The Australian economy is the 13th largest in the world and has experienced 17 consecutive years of economic growth. Sydney, which is located in New South Wales, is the largest economic region in Australia.
An internship in Sydney places you in the middle of this dynamic business hub in the Asia/ Pacific region, providing a unique experience and preparation that will give you a competitive advantage as you prepare for a global career in many industries.
The eight-week program combines the first two weeks of class with six weeks of internship placement following the course. You'll spend Monday - Friday from 10:00 am - 12 Noon in class for those first two weeks. Afternoons will be filled with class group work and corporate site visits. Your classes will be taught by an approved adjunct faculty member with extensive global teaching experience, following a syllabus agreed in advance by Fisher College of Business.
Students will intern from approximately 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday during the internship component. These unpaid internships are based in Sydney, Australia, where this international experience will give you an invaluable opportunity to build your global competitiveness, network globally, and enhance your resume. Additionally, you'll earn OSU academic credit that may apply directly toward your degree program.
Walk-In Information Hours about Australia Summer Internship Program
are held every MONDAY from 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
on the second floor of Mason Hall.
The Australia Summer Internship Program is available to students who meet the following qualifications:
- Fully Admitted to Fisher College of Business prior to going in-country
- Rising Juniors or Rising Seniors
- Have GPA of 3.0 or greater
- Completed course pre-requisites prior to going in-country
- Able to obtain a 462 Working Holiday Visa to Australia. Students from China and India will have a very difficult time obtaining this type of visa. Do NOT purchase a tourist visa.
Students can earn 1.5 semester credits when participating in only one of the courses offered below.
- Course 1:
- BUSML 4253, Global Marketing, 1.5 semester credits,
- Prerequisite: BUSML 3250, Principles of Marketing
- Course 2:
- BUSMHR 2000, International Business, 1.5 semester credits
- Econ 2002
- Econ 2001 OR AEDEcon 2001
Students will be enrolled in special sections of courses listed above, and course registration will be completed for each participant. Do not attempt to self-register for your courses.
Students must have competed prerequisite courses prior to going in-country in May.
The Ohio State University instructional fee and general fee for each course will be considered part of your Spring Semester Tuition and Fees so no additional instructional cost will be assessed to you.
All other supplemental fees typically paid are waived for this off-campus program.
Classes will be capped at 30 each and admission is completed on a rolling basis. Be sure to apply early to secure a seat in your desired course.
- Depart USA on Wednesday, May 1, 2013
- Arrive in Sydney, Australia on Friday, May 3
- Depart Australia on Saturday, June 28
Program cost for the Australia Summer Internship Program is $5,800 USD.
- $1,000 Non-Refundable deposit payable upon acceptance into the program.
- $4,800 Final payment payable no later than February 15, 2013.
- $100 late fee will be assessed if students fail to pay by the established deadlines.
For information on financial assistance, please click here
Additional ways to fund Study Abroad:
INCLUDED in Program Cost:
- Shared accommodations at the brand new Meriton in Sydney's convenient Surry Hills district. Includes kitchen facilities, close to bus and rail, cafes and shops, and internet access is included for duration of the program
- Centrally located classroom space near student accommodations for class meetings, tutorials, and final exams
- Arrival in Sydney: Pick-up at airport and transport to accommodations
- Departure from Sydney: Return to airport at end of program
- Weekly Travel Pass (Multi-pass ONE) for transport on buses, trains, and ferries during the Program
Orientation Program and Activities
- Welcome lunch and Orientation meeting on day of arrival
- Sydney walking tour on day of arrival
- Welcome dinner in Sydney on day of arrival
- Cultural visit to Blue Mountains on Sunday, May 5
- Group update dinner to be scheduled
- Farewell dinner to be scheduled
- Placement in a six-week unpaid internship with a company, organization, or government agency relevant to your interest (in workplace Monday through Friday for six weeks.
- Updated Resume PDF must be submitted with your Program Application and will be shared with potential internship hosts.
- Link to an Online Resume Form will be sent to admitted students to identify your ideal internship experience in alignment with your major, specialization, career goals, and particular industry or sector. Additionally, it will assist our placement team to find the best internship fit for you. Please be as specific as you can about what you would like to do in your field. For example, if you are seeking a marketing internship, do you want to market a sports team, or clothing, or a new brand of soft drink? Or, do you want to be involved in the creative side of marketing, working in an advertising agency hired to develop a branding strategy? Given your major, please think about similar details as well as considering company size, multinational, or domestic. Is a big name company crucial or is the substance of your internship more important? Many times smaller companies yield greater responsibility to the intern. This Resume Form will be the starting point for the internship placement so make sure you consider your career goals and provide as many details as you can. Remember, placement requests must be realistic in terms of your background, experience and education.
- Internship Interview: Every attempt will be made to provide the optimal internship experience. If you apply early, you will have an actual interview with our Australia partners who will travel here to discuss your internship plan during the week of November 12. Be sure to apply early to secure an interview spot. If you apply after that time, you will interview via Skype or by phone.
- Virtually every single U.S. Fortune 500 company has operations in Australia, with the exception of WalMart, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and many of the U.S. health insurance companies.
- If you're looking for a multinational company in Australia, click here to Learn More
- Internship placements will be disclosed at least two weeks prior to arrival in-country
- In-country resident director support will be available during the program's duration.
NOT INCLUDED in Program Cost:
- Roundtrip Airfare to and from Sydney, Australia
- 462 Working Holiday Visa fees (approximately $280)
- Required International HTH Student Health Insurance (approximately $75)
OSU Semester Tuition for Australia Summer Internship Program is included in Spring Tuition so students may take up to 3 semester credit hours during the May Term at no additional charge.
Application Process, Deadlines and Group Flight Information
- Application OPENS: October 1, 2012
- Application CLOSES: January 31, 2013
- Deadline for Final Program Payment: February 15, 2013, must be paid in full
- STEP 1: Revise Current Resume:
You must attach your current Resume to the application when you submit. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- STEP 2: Complete HTH Supplemental Insurance Form available at the Summer Internship Website which you must attach to the application when you submit. Do not send to OIA as form indicates. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- STEP 3: Submit Application:
After clicking on the link below,
- start by Creating an Account,
- click on "Search Programs" tab,
- select "Summer 2013" in the "Term" field and select your desired location.
- STEP 4: Flight and Payment Options:
- $1,000 non-refundable deposit is due AFTER you have received an approval email with instructions how to pay.
- Final program payment is due no later than February 15, 2013.
- Do not purchase your airfare until you have been officially accepted onto the program. Information to pay your fees and purchase your airfare will be sent via email. You will pay your fees and purchase a seat on the group flight through Student Universe, our travel and payment partner.