Marketing Global Lab: Singapore
Learn Global Marketing and experience it first hand, in this new class, Marketing Global Lab. As a student in this class, you will take a seven-week course at Fisher, BUSML 4253: Global Marketing, in the second term of Fall 2014, and travel to Singapore for a capstone, immersive experience with globally successful multi-national companies.
Singapore is a powerful economic hub for global business, and features a who’s who of global brands and marketing success stories. The business climate in Singapore is characterized by a sophisticated western approach to business while retaining, at heart, traditional Asian values that emphasize relationships and interdependent networks. Participate in this unique learning experience and enrich your marketing education with a global edge!
|Program Overview||Application Process||Pre-Departure Information||FAQ|
- Program Cost: $3500
- Cost INCLUDES: international airfare, double/triple occupancy hotel accommodations, transportation, all business visits, all cultural tours, all breakfasts and other select meals
- Cost EXCLUDES: international health insurance, passport and visa fees, vaccinations, incidentals, and meals not arranged by provider
Please see our Funding Study Abroad page to check for available funding options.
- BUSML 4253: Global Marketing
- 2014 Autumn Semester, Second 7-week Session
- TR 2:20-3:40PM, SB 220
- Students will earn 1.5 semester credits for completing the class. Both class attendance and the winter travel portion of this program are required.
Please do not attempt to enroll in the class directly. Once you have been conditionally accepted to the program, the Office of Global Business will authorize your enrollment in this special course section.
- Undergraduate student enrolled at The Ohio State University
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Prerequisites*: BUSML 4201 (750), BUSML 4202 (758), BUSMHR 2291 (BUSADM 499.01) or equivalent
- Not open to students with credit for 4253 (757) or 4254 (757).
*Prerequisites can be waived with special instructor permission. Eligibility requirements and special permissions will be assessed during the application review process.
- January 2 – January 10, 2015
- BUSINESS VISITS: All students in this class will work on group projects provided by multi-national companies, and make project presentations to marketing executives in those companies, in Singapore, during the trip. These projects will give students a chance to apply their marketing skills on a real-world project with global significance, present to executives in Singapore, and add that rich experience to their résumé.
- CULTURAL TOURS*: Colonial City, National Museum, Chinatown, Little India, Orchard Road, Marina Bay Sands, Gardens by the Bay.
- All students participating in the Marketing Global Lab are required to take the group flight from Columbus, Ohio to Singapore.
*Travel details subject to change.
Application and Deadlines
The application for 2014 Marketing Global Lab is closed. Applications for the 2015-16 academic year will open at the beginning of 2015.
STEP 1 APPLICATION
DEADLINE: June 15, 2014
Complete your application. You will be asked to submit an updated resume and personal statement outlining your goals for participating in the program. Eligibility requirements and special permissions will be assessed during this stage of the application process.
STEP 2 NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT
DEADLINE: two weeks after acceptance email
Within two weeks of receiving your acceptance email, pay your non-refundable $500 deposit. Paying your deposit will reserve a seat in the course and a ticket for the group flight.
STEP 3 TRAVEL DOCUMENTS
DEADLINE: August 27, 2014
Submit a scanned copy of your passport, submit your health form, and register for HTH Supplemental Travel Insurance. International students requiring a visa are also required to submit a visa verification form to the Office of Global Business confirming that they have started the visa process and understand all documents required for the application.
STEP 4 FINAL PAYMENT
DEADLINE: August 27, 2014
Pay your outstanding program fees.
During the online application students will be asked to submit a resume. Because the application will need to be completed in one sitting, please make sure that you prepare an updated copy of your resume in advance.
Statement of Purpose
During the online application students will be asked to submit a Statement of Purpose. Because the application will need to be completed in one sitting, please make sure that you prepare in advance. The two questions students will be asked to answer are as follows:
- Write about your interest in global marketing and how you would benefit from taking BUSML 4253.
- Summarize your opinion on why Singapore is an ideal business hub for Marketing Global Lab.
Deposits and Payments
- Within two weeks of being accepted into the Marketing Global Lab, students must pay their $500 non-refundable deposit.
- Paying a deposit will reserve a seat in the course and a ticket for the group flight.
- Your final payment for the program must be made in full BEFORE AUGUST 27, 2014—the first day of 2014 autumn semester.
- As an added precaution, all students will be registered with the US Department of State Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).
- The Office of Global Business will enter student travel information so that the Department of State can better assist in emergencies.
- All students participating in study abroad programs offered through the Fisher College of Business are required to enroll in supplemental travel insurance. Students should carry their insurance card with them at all times while traveling in-country.
- The Ohio State University supplemental travel insurance is provided through HTH Worldwide Services. This supplemental insurance includes a policy covering accident and sickness and for emergency assistance, evacuation and repatriation.
- To register for HTH Supplemental Insurance, please consult "Applying Online for Supplemental Travel Insurance" found at the Office of International Affairs insurance website.
- In order to participate, international students must be able to obtain all required travel visas and confirm their eligibility to return to the US after the program (i.e., a multiple entry visa).
- All students/international scholars holding a US visa who are participating in an Office of Global Business (OGB) program and have questions about international travel should schedule an appointment with an Office of International Affairs (OIA) International Student Services advisor.
- If needed, the costs associated with applying for or renewing a passport are not included in the total price of the program.
- All students (international and domestic) must have passports valid at least six (6) months past the dates of travel.
- If you are a US citizen but do not currently have a passport and you are selected to participate in the program, you should apply for your passport as soon as possible. You must have your passport at least three (3) months prior to departure to allow time to process a visa if required (October 1, 2014).
If you are a US citizen, please see Travel.State.Gov for more information about applying and renewing your passport.
- Please visit the Center for Disease Control website for suggested vaccinations and related health information for traveling in Singapore.
- Vaccinations vary by individual and travel destination. As it may be a substantial cost, please consider this expense before registering. Please note this cost is not included in the total price of the program.
- United States citizens who are traveling to Singapore do not need a visa, but are required to present a passport valid for at least six months beyond their intended stay (July 10, 2014). For further information, please consult the U.S. Department of State page on Singapore.
- Visas for international students vary by travel destination and student nationality. As it may take some time to process a visa, please prepare in advance, allowing enough time to process documents and renew F-1 visa (if applicable).
- To better understand visa requirements for Singapore, students should consult the Singaporean Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Given the itinerary organized by the Office of Global Business, participants of this trip will be considered a "tourist/visitor".
For any additional questions please contact Zachary Grammel (grammel.4) or call the Office of Global Business at (614) 292-0845.
Students first complete their online application. Once they are accepted into the program, the Office of Global Business will contact their academic advisor to permit the student to be enrolled in the course.
Selected students will be notified via e-mail (a non-refundable deposit secures a seat in the course and holds a ticket on the group flight). The course is scheduled through permission only after applications are reviewed.
Both the class component and the travel component are required.