The Green Business Program gives undergraduate students the opportunity to gain in-country international experience with a blend of academic, corporate and cultural experiences. The course explores the concepts and principles of “green business” in Costa Rica.
Students enrolled in the course will examine initiatives of several organizations that have integrated sustainability-focused business practices into their operations. The course will look at the business scene from various perspectives: indigenous entrepreneurs, multinational operations, and Costa Rica based companies. The class format will include guest speakers and team projects.
Details about the price, class, etc. for 2013 will be announced by the beginning of Autumn Semester. The cost covers hotels, breakfast each day, ground transportation, select meals, cultural excursions, international health insurance coverage and other fees associated with site visits. Airfare will be purchased individually and should not be purchased until students have been notified of acceptance into the program.
Walk-In Information Hours about Short Term Study Abroad are held every Monday & Friday from 11am-1pm on the second floor of Mason Hall.
Student applications will be reviewed based on GPA and class rank. Business Scholars will receive preference.
The EMFS course is available to students enrolled at The Ohio State University who meet the following qualifications:
- Undergraduate Student (All OSU students can apply but Business Scholars will receive preference)
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or greater
- International Students: Are able to obtain a passport and travel visa (if a visa is required)
- Sophomore, Junior, or Senior standing
- BA 555/BUSMHR 2000 (may be taken concurrently)***
***Non Fisher students (i.e., EEDS majors, Ag Econ, etc.) may have this requirement waived
- Students will be earn 3 semester course credits (BA 2798) for their participation in the class
- Course will count as credit for the following requirements:
- Culture & Ideas (Gen Ed)
- Global Studies (Gen Ed)
- Study Abroad requirement for International Business Specialization
- Elective credit for the business and international tracks in OSU's new Sustainability Major (EEDS)
- Class will meet Fridays, 8:00am-9:20am
- Travel to Costa Rica during Spring Break
- March 9-16, 2013
- Students will visit companies such as the Dole Banana Plantation, Natura, and Bridgestone/Firestone (itinerary is subject to change).
- Students will take cultural tours, such as a tour to Poas Volcano, a zipline tour through the rainforest canopy, and a yacht tour to Punta Coral (itinerary is subject to change)
- Click here to see more information and a itinerary from 2012
- Approx. Costs: $2050
- Costs include double occupancy hotel accommodations, all breakfasts, all cultural tours, ground transportation, select meals, and international health insurance.
- Program fees excludes round-trip airfare, visas, passports, incidentals, meals not covered in the programs (approximately 7-8 meals not included), and vaccinations.
- Scholarship: The International Programs Offices offers a $500 fellowship to students interested in becoming Marketing Liaisons on Short Term Study Abroad trips. If you are interested, please click here.
- Other scholarships may also apply: Check here for more information.
Deadlines & Application
- Deadline to apply is October 15th, 2012
- $500 deposit is due (refundable only if you are not accepted into the program)
- Payment for program must be made in full before the first day of class (January 7th)
- Limited slots. Apply here today!