Professor of Finance
Telephone: (614) 688-3125
834 Fisher Hall
2100 Neil Ave.
Columbus, OH. 43210
- Ph. D. --University of Chicago, 1994
- M. A. -- University of Chicago, 1990
- B. A. --Mount Holyoke College, 1986
- "Appointments of Outsiders to Japanese Boards: Determinants and Implications for Managers," with Steven N. Kaplan, Journal of Financial Economics, 1994.
- "An Empirical Examination of Basic Valuation Models for Plain Vanilla Interest Rates Swaps", Journal of Financial Economics, 1997.
- "Why Firms Use Currency Derivatives," with Christopher Géczy and Catherine Schrand,Journal of Finance, 1997.
- "Does Cash Flow Volatility Affect Firm Value: Its Impact on Discretionary Investment and the Costs of Debt and Equity Financing," with Catherine Schrand, Journal of Financial Economics, 1999.
- "Interest-Rate Derivatives and Bank Lending," with Elijah Brewer, III and James T. Moser, Journal of Banking and Finance, 2000.
- "The Role of Volatility in Valuation," with Catherine Schrand and Beverly Walther, Review of Accounting Studies, 2002.
- "The Use of Multiple Risk Management Strategies: Evidence from the Natural Gas Industry", with Christopher Géczy and Catherine Schrand, Journal of Risk, 2006.
- "Taking a View: Corporate Speculation and Governance", with Christopher Géczy and Catherine Schrand, Journal of Finance, 2007.
- "How Much Do Banks Use Credit Derivatives to Hedge Loans?", with René M. Stulz and Rohan Williamson, Journal of Financial Services Research, 2009.
"The Many Facets of Exchange Rate Exposure", with Sohnke Bartram and Gregory Brown, Journal of Financial Economics, 2010.
Do Independence and Financial Expertise of the Board Matter for Risk Taking and Performance? with Jérôme P. A. Taillard and Rohan Williamson
"Former CEO Directors: Lingering CEOs or Valuable Resources?", with Rüdiger Fahlenbrach and Carrie H. Pan, 2010.
"How Has CEO Turnover Changed?", with Steven N. Kaplan, 2010.
"Information Asymmetries, Learning, and Investor Preferences for Industry Exposure", with Catherine Schrand and Phil Davies, 2010.
"Financial Expertise of The Board, Risk Taking and Value: Evidence from Financial Firms", with Jérôme A. Taillard and Rohan Williamson, 2010.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- GARP Research Grant, 2007.
- FDIC Research Grant, 2006.
- Undergraduate Teaching Award, Fisher College of Business, 2005.
- Caesarea Award, Western Finance Association Meetings, 2004.
- Journal of Financial Economics, All-Star Paper for "Appointments of Outsiders to Japanese Boards: Determinants and Implications for Mergers".
- 2000 Forty Under Forty Honoree, Columbus, Ohio.
- The Pace Setters Research Award, Fisher College of Business, 2000.
- The Pace Setters Undergraduate Teaching Award, Fisher College of Business, 2000.
- Fisher College of Business Small Seed Grant, 2000.
- Undergraduate Teaching Award, Undergraduate Honors Program, 1999.
- Nominated for Smith Breeden Award, 1997.
- University Seed Grant, The Ohio State University, 1997.
- Dean's Summer Fellowship Award, Fisher College of Business, The Ohio State University, 1997-2003 and 2006-2010.
- University of Chicago Fellowships, 1989-1994
- Mount Holyoke Alumnae Graduate Fellowship, 1989
CURRENT COURSES TAUGHT
- Business Finance 620-Honors
- Business Finance 620D
- Business Finance 731
- Business Finance 827