H. Lee Mathews
Professor Mathews is the co-author of Branching and Market Coverage: Growth Strategies for Wholesaler-Distributors and Selling. In addition, he has written Marketing Simplified: A Guide to Decision Making. He has published in major journals, including the Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Consumer Research and Industrial Management. He teaches at the executive education level and is active in consulting.
Areas of expertise
- Marketing planning and strategy
- Sales management
- Planning and financial analysis of the wholesale distribution industry
- Marketing programs for distribution
- PhD, The Ohio State University
- MBA, The Ohio State University
- BS, University of Illinois
Books and Monographs
- The Loft Case Studies A-E Written for The Limited Corporation, 2002
- Global Automotive Aftermarket Symposium Trends in the Aftermarket, published by GAAS, 2001
- Strategic Planning Workbook, published by IBM, 1999
- Fripp Steel Case Study, published by Steel Service Center, 1999
- Fripp Steel Case Study, published by Steel Service Center, 1997.
- 1994 Distribution Industry Survey Results and Planning Workbook: The Impact of Technology, published by IBM.
- Survey of Sales Management Practices, published by Steel Service Center Institute, 1993.
- Branching and Market Coverage: Growth Strategies for Wholesale Distributors, with Denis Heely, N.A.W., 1985
- Market Share Trends in Distribution, with Jim Robeson and Joel Urbany. Published by the National Association of Wholesaler Distributors, 1984.
- “Purchasing in the Eighties,” published by MEDE Communications, 1983, 40 pages.
- A Bibliography on Branching Strategies for Wholesalers, published by the National Association of Wholesalers, 1982.
- Marketing Simplified—A Guide for Industrial Distribution. Published by the National Industrial Distributors Association Sales and Marketing Committee. This text is a result of a nationwide study of sales/ marketing practices in the industry. Co-author John Monoky, 300 pages, 1980.
- Selling, with James Robeson and Carl Stevens. R.D. Irwin Company, New York, 1978.
- Analysis and Decision Making: Cases in Marketing Management, with Ira J. Dolich and David T. Wilson, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, Inc. 1971.
- Causes of Personal Bankruptcies, Columbus, Ohio: Bureau of Business Research, 1969 (monograph).
- Marketing Strategies in the Commercial Bank Credit Card Field, with John W. Slocum, Jr., The American Bankers Association, 1968 (monograph).
Articles and Book Chapters
- “Know Your Markets,” Industrial Distribution Magazine, 1983.
- “Give Your Plan a Goal,” with John Monoky, Sales and Marketing Management Magazine, October, 1982.
- “Sociometrics,” by H. Lee Mathews, Brian C. Switzer and Vladimir J. Simunek, published in Journal of Business Forecasting, Fall, 1982.
- “Selling to the Computer Assisted Buyer,” Industrial Marketing Management, with David Wilson and Klaus Backhaus, Fall, 1977.
- “An Empirical Test of the Fishbein Behavioral Intention Model,” Journal of Consumer Research, with David T. Wilson and James Harvey, 1977.
- “Industrial Marketing’s New Challenge: The Computerized Buyer,” Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, with David T. Wilson, Spring, 1974.
- “Correlates of Commercial Bank Credit Card Use,” with John Slocum, Journal of Bank Research. Winter, 1972.
- “The Evolution of Computer Based Purchasing Systems,” with John Readington and David T. Wilson, Management Informatics, May, 1972.
- “The Effect of Perceived Similarity Upon Buyer-Seller Interactions: An Experimental Approach,” Journal of Marketing Research, February, 1972.
- “A Rejoinder to ‘Social Class or Income?’” with John Slocum, Journal of Marketing, Vol. 36, No. 1, January, 1972.
- “The Impact of Management Information Systems Upon Purchasing Decision Making: A Progress Report,” with David T. Wilson, Journal of Purchasing, February, 1971.
- “Marketing Segmentation by Life Cycle: A Study of the Commercial Bank Credit Card Market,” with John W. Slocum, Jr., Journal of Consumer Credit, Winter, 1970.
- “The Use of Psychographic Variables to Predict Credit Use,” with John W. Slocum in Broadening the Concept of Marketing, David L. Sparks, ed. (Chicago, IL: American Marketing Association, 1970).
- “Social Class and Income as Indicators of Consumer Credit Behavior,” with John W. Slocum, Jr., Journal of Marketing, Vol. 34, No. 2 (April, 1970).
- “Social Class and Commercial Bank Credit Cards,” with John W. Slocum, Jr., Journal of Marketing, Vol. 33, No.1 (January, 1969). Reprinted in Research in Consumer Behavior, eds. Blackwell, et. al. (New York : McGraw- Hill, 1970).
Proceedings and Other Publications
- Series of ten articles on Strategic Planning, Published in Business First, 2003
- “The Loft Cases,” published by The Limited Corporation and Ohio State University, 2001- 2002
- “Cross Functional Education: Aligning Marketing and Operations Strategy,” with Bill Berry and John Grabner, 1995 Summer American Marketing Association Conference Proceedings.
- “Survey of Planning Practices in Wholesale Drug Distribution,” OSU College of Business Working Paper Series, 1993.
- “Marketing in Turbulent Times,” with Jim Robeson, published in Centerlines, by the Steel Service Center Institute in February, 1983.
- “A Psychological Testing Scale for Innovativeness Utilizing Five Major Traits,” by Roger Blackwell, H. Lee Mathews and Thomas M. Murnane, Working Paper Series 81-6, The Ohio State University College of Business, 1981.
- “The Role of Environmental Scanning in Product Planning.” Steve Pincus, John Gottko, H. Lee Mathews. (October 1980) Working Paper Series 80- 83. Paper presented to Product Management Association National Conference in Montreal, 1980.
- “Implementing Marketing Planning in Higher Education,” by H. Lee Mathews and Roger Blackwell, Marketing in the Eighties, Proceedings of American Marketing Association Educators Conference, 1980.
- “Achieving Seller Acceptability in Industrial Markets: Development of the Communications Mix,” with James Robeson and Peter Bambic at the Symposium of Consumer and Industrial Buyer Behavior, North Holland, 1977.
- “Information Source Preference by Industrial Buyers as a Function of the Buying Situation,” Southern Marketing Association Meetings, with John F. Monoky and David T. Wilson, November, 1974.
- “An Exploratory Study of the Effects of Unit Pricing and Nutritional Labeling Upon Supermarket Choice,” Proceedings of the Association for Consumer Research, with David T. Wilson, Chin Tan, and Timothy W. Sweeney, August, 1973.
- “An Analysis of Industrial Buyers’ Risk Reducing Behavior: Some Personality Correlates,” with D.T. Wilson and Timothy W. Sweeney, Proceedings of the American Marketing Association. August, 1973.
- “An Empirical Study of the Effects of Unit Pricing Housewives Shopping Behavior,” with Timothy Sweeney and David T. Wilson, Conference of the Southern Marketing Association, 1972.
- “Attitudes as a Predictor of Behavior in a Buyer-Seller Situation: An Experimental Approach,” with David T. Wilson and John Monoky, Proceedings of the American Marketing Association, 1972.
- “Decision Patterns and Personality: A Study of Industrial Buyer Decision Making,” The Institute for Management Science International Meeting, March, 1971.
- “The Development of Computer Supported Purchasing Systems,” with David T. Wilson, a paper given at the Research Colloquium – National Association of Purchasing Managers, Chicago, May, 1971.
- “International Industrial Marketing: A Planning Model,” with C. Korth and David T. Wilson, a paper given at American Marketing Association Meetings, April, 1971.
- “Industrial Buying Decision Processes,” with David T. Wilson, invited paper given at AMA Seminar on Industrial Buying Behavior, San Francisco, April, 1971.
- “Decision Patterns and Personality: A Study of Industrial Buyer Decision Making,” with David T. Wilson, The Institute of Management Science, International Meeting, Washington, March, 1971.
- “Perceived Risk, Individual Differences, and Shopping Orientations,” with John W. Slocum and Arch Woodside, Proceedings of the Second Annual Conference of the Association for Consumer Research, Washington, D.C., September, 1971.
- “Industrial Market Segmentation: A Psychographic Approach,” with David T. Wilson and Timothy W. Sweeney, Proceedings of the 1971 American Marketing Association Conference, Minneapolis, August, 1971.
- “The Impact of EDP on Industrial Buying Decision Making,” Research Colloquium National Association of Purchasing Managers, Boston, May, 1970.
- “An Experimental Study of the Effects of Sociological and Psychological ‘Characteristics Similarity’ on Industrial Bargaining,” with David T. Wilson, Proceedings of the Association for Consumer Research, Amherst, Massachusetts, August, 1970.
- “Consumer Credit and The Affluent Society,” American Marketing Association Educators Conference, Cincinnati, Ohio, August, 1969.
- “New Techniques in Marketing Research: A Study of the Commercial Bank Credit Card Market,” National Credit Card Conference, Dallas, Texas, October, 1969.
- “Market Segmentation and Product Differentiation for Commercial Bank Credit Cards,” Annual Conference of the Bank Public Relations and Marketing Association, Miami, November, 1969.
- “Some Tentative Findings on the Effects of Sociological Variables on Credit Decisions by Consumers,” Bank Public Relations and Marketing Association, Chicago, May, 1969.
- “Managing of Money and Family Financial Decision Making,” U.S. Department of Agriculture, April, 1969.
- “The Role of Marketing Research in Consumer Education,” Council of Consumer Affairs Annual Conference, Greeley, Colorado, April, 1969.
- “Commercial Bank and Credit Card Research,” Maryland Chapter of the Bank Public Relations and Marketing Association, April, 1968. Speech reprinted in part, Bankers Monthly.
- “Marketing Horizons in the Commercial Bank Credit Card Field,” National Conference of the Bank Public Relations and Marketing Association, Chicago, September, 1968.
- “Personal Bankruptcy: An Analysis of the Causes of Financial Failure of Families,” Proceedings of the Appalachian Conference on Research in Poverty and Development, Blacksburg, Virginia, 1968.
- “Socio-Economic Indicators and Attitudinal Determinants of Personal Bankruptcy,” in Reed Moyer, Changing Marketing Systems – Consumer, Corporate, and Government Interfaces, (American Marketing Association, 1967 Winter Conference Proceedings, Washington, D.C., 1968) pp. 282 – 288.