John Gray is an associate professor of operations. He joined Fisher after receiving his PhD from the Kenan-Flagler Business School at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill. Prior to pursuing his PhD, he worked for eight years in operations management at Procter & Gamble, receiving an MBA from Wake Forest University’s evening program during that time.
Dr. Gray teaches the core MBA Data Analysis class and an MBA elective called Global Sourcing. For the latter, he was awarded "Outstanding Working Professional MBA Elective Professor" by the students in 2010. A student project from this class led to a co-authored case (Scotts Miracle-Gro: The Spreader Sourcing Decision) that has been adopted at numerous top business schools and is one of Ivey Publishing's 20 best-selling cases across all disciplines.
Dr. Gray’s research has received several awards and recognitions. In 2012, a co-authored paper on global food supply chains received the Emerald Citations of Excellence award, recognizing its impact as among the top 50 papers published in over 300 management journals in 2008. Two of his papers were awarded the OM Division's Chan Hahn best paper award at the Academy of Management conference (2012 and 2014); two others have been finalists (2009 and 2011). His dissertation was the winner of the Decision Sciences Institute's 2007 Elwood S. Buffa Doctoral Dissertation Competition, and received awards from the University of Minnesota’s Juran Center. Within Fisher, he received the 2011 Pace Setters award for research.
In addition to service to his department and the university, he serves as a senior editor for Production and Operations Management and an associate editor for the Journal of Operations Management. Among his service to professional societies, he is serving a 5-year leadership role for the Academy of Management’s OM Division from 2014-2018.
Areas of Expertise
- Antecedents and consequences of outsourcing, offshoring, and reshoring
- The relationship between boundaries (organizational and geographic) and quality risk
- Managing quality across organizational and geographic boundaries
- Sustaining quality performance over time
- PhD in Business Administration, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- MBA, Babcock School of Graduate Management, Wake Forest University
- BS in Engineering, Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College
- BA in Engineering Sciences, Dartmouth College
- OM Division Chan Hahn Best Paper Award Winner, Academy of Management, 2014
- OM Division Chan Hahn Best Paper Award Winner, Academy of Management, 2012
- Emerald Management Reviews Citations of Excellence Award, 2012
- Fisher College of Business Pace Setter Research Award, 2011
- Outstanding Working Professional MBA Elective Professor, 2010
- Elwood S. Buffa Doctoral Dissertation Award, Decision Sciences Institute, 2007
MBA 6271 - Data Analysis for Managers
Introduction to data analysis and statistics for business. Emphasis on achieving an application-oriented understanding of statistical inference and regression analysis and their use in decision making.
7233 - Global Sourcing I: Organizing for Effective Global Sourcing
Focus on major decisions related to Global Sourcing. Discuss ownership and location, then study fundamental trade-offs in sourcing, including whether a buyer should employ relational or transactional arrangements with suppliers and vendors.
- J.V. Gray and B. Massimino, "The Effect of Language Differences and National Culture on Plant-Level Process Compliance," Production and Operations Management 23, no. 6 (2014): 1042-1056.
- S.M. Handley and J.V. Gray, "Inter-Organizational Quality Management: The Use of Contractual Incentives and Monitoring Mechanisms with Outsourced Manufacturing," Production and Operations Management 22, no. 6 (2013): 1540-1556.
- J. V. Gray, K. Skowronski, G. Esenduran, and J. Rungtusanatham, "The Reshoring Phenomenon: What Supply Chain Academics Ought to Know and Should Do," Journal of Supply Chain Management 49, no. 2 (2013): 27-33.
- G. Anand, J.V. Gray, and E. Siemsen, "Decay, Shock, and Renewal: Operational Routines and Process Entropy in the Pharmaceutical Industry," Organization Science 23, no. 6 (2012): 1700-1716.
- J.V. Gray, A.V. Roth, and M.J. Leiblein, "Quality Risk in Offshore Manufacturing: Evidence from the Pharmaceutical Industry," Journal of Operations Management 29, nos. 7-8 (2011): 737-752.
- J.V Gray and S.M. Handley, "Managing Quality in Outsourced Production: Construct Development and Measurement Validation," Quality Management Journal 18, no. 2 (April 2011): 26-45.
- J.V. Gray, A.V. Roth, and B. Tomlin, "The Influence of Cost and Quality Priorities on the Propensity to Outsource Production," Decision Sciences 40, no.4 (2009): 697-726.
- J.V. Gray, B. Tomlin, and A.V. Roth, "Outsourcing to a Powerful Contract Manufacturer: The Effect of Learning-by-Doing," Production and Operations Management 18, no. 5 (Sept-Oct 2009): 487-505.
- A.V. Roth, M. Pullman, A.A. Tsay, and J.V. Gray, "Unraveling the Food Supply Chain: Strategic Insights from the Pet Food Recalls," Journal of Supply Chain Management 44, no. 1 (February 2008): 22-39.
- A.V. Roth, M. Pullman, A.A. Tsay, and J.V. Gray, "Reaping What You Sow?," International Commerce Review: ECR Journal 8, no. 1 (Autumn 2008): 36-47.
- J.V. Gray, G. Anand, and A.V. Roth, "The Influence of ISO 9000 Certifications on Process Compliance," Production and Operations Management
- A. Ivanova, J.V. Gray, K.K. Sinha, "Towards a Unifying Theory of Management Standard Implementation: The Case of ISO 9001 and ISO 14001," International Journal of Operations and Production Management (to appear in 34, no. 10 (2014))
- J.V. Gray, A.V. Roth, and B. Tomlin, "Quality Risk and Contract Manufacturing: Theory and Empirical Evidence"
- J.V. Gray, E. Siemsen and G. Vasudeva, "Collocation Still Matters: Conformance Quality and the Interdependence of R&D and Manufacturing in the Pharmaceutical Industry"
- S.M. Handley and J.V. Gray, "Managing Quality in a Heterogeneous Contract Manufacturing Environment."
- J. Gardner, K.K. Boyer and J.V. Gray, "Operational and Strategic Information Processing: Complementing Healthcare IT Infrastructure"
- B. Massimino, J.V. Gray and K.K. Boyer, "Protecting the Confidentiality of Proprietary Assets: The Effects of Industrial Agglomeration and National Property Rights"
- J.V. Gray and S.M. Handley, "Managing Contract Manufacturer Quality in the Presence of Performance Ambiguity"
- J. Altamuro, J.V. Gray and H. Zhang, "A Commitment to Compliance: An Examination of Financial and Operational Noncompliance for FDA-Regulated Industries"
- J.V. Gray, J. Rungtusanatham, G. Esenduran, and K. Skowronski, "Why in the World Did They Reshore? Examining Small-to-Medium Sized Manufacturer Decisions"
- A.V. Roth, J.V. Gray, J. Shockley, and H. Weng, "The Use of Secondary Source Data for Measuring Performance in Operations Management Research"
- J. Baird, J.V. Gray, and M.J. Leiblein, "Synergies in High-Tech Production: A New Model of Complex FDI and Sourcing"