David Schilling is a professor of Management Sciences. He joined Fisher in 1978 after receiving his PhD from Johns Hopkins University. His research and consulting in the public and private sectors focuses on business analytics, specifically in the design and implementation of computer-based tools to support management decision making. He teaches courses in business analytics, including data analysis/statistics in the MBA, Executive MBA and Master of Business Operational Excellence programs, as well as optimization and simulation modeling in the BSBA and MBA programs.
Schilling’s research has appeared in Management Science, Journal of Operations Management, Decision Sciences, Business Logistics, Management Information Systems Quarterly and European Journal of Operations Research. A 2008 article in the Journal of Operations Management ranked him 33rd among over 1,300 American business school operations management professors based upon impact of research publications. Schilling is founding chair of the College on Location Analysis of the Institute for Operations Research and Management Science, and also has served as chair of the College on Information Systems of the same institute.
Within Fisher, Schilling served as chair of the Department of Management Sciences for eight years and is formerly academic director of the MBA program. He currently directs Fisher's general business programs, including distance delivery of courses to Ohio State's regional campuses, which led to a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration degree.
Areas of Expertise
- Facility location decisions
- Distribution systems
- Optimization and simulation modeling
- Supply chain management analysis and design
- PhD in Management Science, Johns Hopkins University
- BS in Physics, Miami University
- Pace Setters Bostic-Georges Faculty Service Award, 2013
- Dean's Summer Research Fellowship, 2012, 2013
2321 — Business Analytics
Examination of the use of business analytic models used in managerial decision making processes. Emphasis on formulation and interpretation of models; supported by spreadsheet based software.
4233 - Information Systems in Operations Management
This course focuses on knowledge and skills students need to prepare them to manage service operations. It surveys strategic perspectives, management concepts and analytical frameworks from an operational point of view in order to effectively plan, build, run, and improve service operations in competitive global markets. Using case studies, a variety of services are analyzed integrating operational strategy, design, and delivery issues and opportunities.
MBA 6271 - Data Analysis for Managers
Introduction to data analysis and statistics for business. Emphasis on achieving an application-oriented understanding of statistical inference and regression analysis and their use in decision making.
7222 - Simulation, Risk Analysis, and Decision Making
Focus on analyzing management decisions that involve uncertainty, risk, and complexity by using modeling tools.
- D. Schilling, Zhou, Benton and Milligan, “Supply Chain Integration and the SCOR Model," Journal of Business Logistics 32, no. 4 (2011): 332-344.
- D. Schilling, Anand, Ward, and Tatikonda, “Dynamic Capabilities through Continuous Improvement Infrastructure," Journal of Operations Management 27, no. 5 (October/November 2009): 444-461.
- D. Schilling, Hill and Berry, “Revising the Master Production Schedule in a Sequence-Dependent Process,” International Journal of Production Research 41, no. 9 (2003): 2021-2035.
- D. Schilling, John Current and Mark Daskin, “Discrete Network Location Models,” in Location Analysis: Applications and Theory Drezner and Hammacher, eds. (2001).
- D. Schilling, Hill and Leong, “Master Production Scheduling in Capacitated Sequence-Dependent Process Industries,” International Journal of Production Research 38, no.18 (2000).
- D.A. Schilling, K.E. Rosing, and C.S. ReVelle, “Hard Networks: Network Distance Characteristics that Affect Computational Effort in p-Median Location Problems,” European Journal of Operations Research 127, no. 3 (2000).
- K.E. Rosing, C.S. ReVelle, and D.A. Schilling, “A Gamma Heuristic for the p-Median Problem,” European Journal of Operations Research 117 (1999): 522-532.
- H. Pirkul and D.A. Schilling, “An Efficient Procedure for Designing Single Allocation Hub and Spoke Systems,” Management Science 44, no. 12-2 (1998).
- K. Rosing, C.S. ReVelle, E. Rolland, D.A. Schilling, and J. Current, "Heuristic Concentration and Tabu Search: A Head to Head Comparison," European Journal of Operations Research 104, no. 1 (1998).
- E. Rolland, D.A. Schilling, and J. Current, "A Tabu Search Approach to the p-Median Problem," European Journal of Operations Research 96 (1996).
- J. Current and D.A. Schilling, "The Median Tour and Maximal Covering Tour Problems: Formulation and Heuristics," European Journal of Operations Research 73 (1994).
- D.A. Schilling, V. Jayaraman, and R. Barkhi, "A Review of Covering Problems in Facility Location," Location Science 1, no. 1 (1993).
- S. Narasimhan, H. Pirkul, and D.A. Schilling, "Capacitated Emergency Facility Siting with Multiple Levels of Backup," Annals of Operations Research (1992).
- H. Min, J. Current, and D.A. Schilling, "The Multiple Depot Vehicle Routing Problem with Backhauling," Journal of Business Logistics 13, no. 1 (1992).
- H. Pirkul and D.A. Schilling, "The Maximum Covering Location Problem with Capacities on Total Workloads," Management Science 37 (February 1991).
- J. Current, H. Min, and D.A. Schilling, "Invited Review: Multiple Objective Modeling of Facility Location Decisions," European Journal of Operations Research 49, no. 6 (1990).
- J. Current and D.A. Schilling, "Analysis of Errors Due to Demand Data Aggregation in the Set Covering and Maximal Covering Location Problems," Geographical Analysis 22, no. 2 (April 1990).
- J.R. Current and D.A. Schilling, "The Covering Salesman Problem," Transportation Science 23 (1989).
- H. Pirkul and D.A. Schilling, "The Capacitated Maximal Covering Location Problem with Backup Service," Annals of Operations Research 17 (1989).
- H. Pirkul and D.A. Schilling, "The Siting of Emergency Service Facilities with Workload Capacities and Backup Service," Management Science 34, no. 7 (July 1988).
- J.R. Current and D.A. Schilling, "Elimination of Source A and B Errors in P-Median Location Problems," Geographic Analysis 9, no. 2 (April 1987).
- M.A. Rothermel and D.A. Schilling, "Conjoint Measurement in Multiple Objective Decision Making: A New Approach," The European Journal of Operations Research 23, no. 3 (March 1986). (Reprinted in The Rise of Managerial Computing, Rockart and Bullen, eds., Dow Jones-Irwin (1986).)
- J.C. Henderson and D.A. Schilling, "Design and Implementation of Decision Support Systems in the Public Sector," MIS Quarterly, June 1985.
- G.W. Milligan and D.A. Schilling, "Asymptotic and Finite Sample Characteristics of Four External Criterion Measures," Multivariate Behavioral Research 20, no. 1 (January 1985).
- M.A. Rothermel and D.A. Schilling, "A Comparison of Several Methods of Preference Elicitation in Multiobjective Modeling," OMEGA, 12, no. 4 (July 1984).
- D.A. Schilling, C.S. ReVelle, and J.L. Cohon, "An Approach to the Display and Analysis of Multiobjective Problems," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences 17, no. 2 (1983).
- D.A. Schilling, A. McGarrity, and C.S. ReVelle,"Hidden Attributes and the Display of Information from Multicriteria Analysis," Management Science 28, no. 3 (March 1982).
- D.A. Schilling, "Strategic Facility Planning: The Analysis of Options," Decision Sciences 13, no. 1 (January 1982).
- D.A. Schilling, "The Dynamic Location of Public Sector Facilities: A Multicriteria Approach," Decision Sciences 11, no. 4 (October 1980).
- D.A. Schilling, C.S. ReVelle, J. Cohon, and D.J. Elzinga, "Some Models for Fire Protection Location Decisions," European Journal of Operations Research 5, no. 1 (1980).
- D.A. Schilling, D.J. Elzinga, J.L. Cohon, R. Church, and C.S. ReVelle,"The TEAM-FLEET Models for Simultaneous Facility and Equipment Siting," Transportation Science 13, no. 2 (May 1979).
- C.S. ReVelle, D. Bigman, D.A. Schilling, J.L. Cohon, and R.L. Church, "Facility Location Analysis: A Review of Context-free and EMS Models," Health Services Research (Spring 1977).
- C.S. ReVelle, R.L. Church, and D.A. Schilling, "A Note on the Location Model of Holmes, Williams, and Brown," Geographic Analysis 7, no. 4 (October 1975).