R. Scott Livengood joins the Department of Management and Human Resources as an assistant professor. Livengood arrives from the Warrington College of Business Administration at the University of Florida, where he taught as an assistant professor of strategy and entrepreneurship in the college’s Department of Management. Livengood earned his PhD in strategic management from the Robert H. Smith School of Business at the University of Maryland. He received his MBA (finance, strategy, global management) and BS (accounting) from the Marriott School of Management at Brigham Young University.
Livengood’s industry experience includes four years as an external auditor in the Honolulu office of KPMG, where he earned his CPA license and achieved the title of Senior Auditor. He also worked for over a year in Corporate Finance/Corporate Audit for the Phoenix and Morristown offices of Honeywell International.
Livengood’s research interests are in cognition, competition, entrepreneurship and strategic management. His work has been published in The Academy of Management Review.
His teaching interests include strategic management, entrepreneurship, and negotiations. At the University of Florida, he taught courses on new venture planning, business plan formation, and the art and science of negotiations. In 2008-2009, Livengood received the Krowe Award for Teaching Excellence from the University of Maryland, which is the top teaching award given to faculty in the business school. He also received the Allan Nash Outstanding Doctoral Student Award, given to the top doctoral student in all business programs. At the University of Florida, he was elected to a 2-year term on the faculty senate. Livengood is also fluent in Japanese.
Areas of Expertise
- Cognition (organizational identity, identity domain theory, sensemaking)
- Competition (competitive dynamics, multi-market contact)
- Entrepreneurship (optimism, microfinance, crowdfunding, novelty, criminal, business planning)
- Ph.D. in Strategic Management, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland at College Park
- MBA in Finance (emphasis in strategy, global management, and entrepreneurship), Marriott School of Management, Brigham Young University – Provo
- BS in Accounting (minor in Japanese), Marriott School of Management, Brigham Young University – Provo