John C. Persons
Professor Persons’ research has been published in the Journal of Finance, Review of Financial Studies, Journal of Financial Intermediation and Journal of Corporate Finance.
In the Working Professional MBA class of 1996, Persons with an Outstanding Professor Award for his financial management class. He teaches corporate finance and financial decision making courses at the undergraduate and MBA levels.
Areas of Expertise
- Stock Repurchases
- Financial Innovation
- Renegotiation and Contracting
- Corporate Control
- PhD, University of Chicago, 1991
- MS, University of Tulsa, 1986
- BS, Oral Roberts University, 1982
Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Professor Award, MBA Finance Association, 1999
- Finalist for Journal of Financial Intermediation Most Significant Paper Award, 1997
- Outstanding Professor - Evening MBA Class of 1996
- Nominated for Journal of Finance Smith-Breeden Prize, 1994
- University of Chicago Fellowship, 1987-1989
- Dimensional Fund Advisors research award, 1987
- Amoco Foundation Fellowship, 1986-1987
- F. B. Parriot Scholar, 1985-1986
- C.P.A. examination, national gold medal, 1982
- National Merit Scholar, 1978-1982
- O.R.U. Outstanding Business Student, 1982
Finance 811 - Financial Management II
The course provides a microeconomic approach to the study of core financial decisions of business firms and the relationship of those decisions to financial instruments and financial markets. Topics covered include capital structure, dividend policy, option pricing, and international risk management. This course is a continuation of BUSFIN 810 (the prerequisite course).
Publications in Refereed Journals
- "Fully Revealing Equilibria with Suboptimal Investment," 2000, Journal of Corporate Finance, 331-344.
- "Liars Never Prosper? How Management Misrepresentation Reduces Monitoring Costs," 1997, Journal of Financial Intermediation, 6, 269-306.
- "Boom and Bust Patterns in the Adoption of Financial Innovations," 1997, Review of Financial Studies, 10, 939-967. (with Vincent A. Warther)
- "Heterogeneous Shareholders and Signaling with Share Repurchases," 1997, Journal of Corporate Finance, 3, 221-249.
- "Renegotiation and the Impossibility of Optimal Investment," 1994, Review of Financial Studies, 7, 419-449.
- "Signaling and Takeover Deterrence with Stock Repurchases: Dutch Auctions versus Fixed Price Tender Offers", 1994, Journal of Finance, 49, 1373-1402.
- Promoting Overconfidence
- Contested Takeovers and Tender Offer Structure