The class has the ability to monitor current and past performance of stocks and the portfolio using real-time online information systems. Bridge Information Systems has donated the use of its financial information service. In addition, the library has several financial information terminals, including Bloomberg, available.
Students use these terminals to view market information in and out of class. Furthermore, the SIM class has set its portfolio up on Yahoo! Finance and can consequently easily monitor any recent news on the holdings in the portfolio.
- NYSE Data
- The Trade and Quote (TAQ) database contains intraday transactions data (trades and quotes) for all securities listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and American Stock Exchange (AMEX), as well as Nasdaq National Market System (NMS) and SmallCap issues.
- PACAP Research Center
- The PACAP Research Centercreates, maintains, and distributes comprehensive, computerized databases which track capital markets data for eight Pacific-Basin countries on a continuous and systematic basis. PACAP Databases contain extensive information on all listed companies from each country's major stock exchange including: daily security prices and returns, capital distributions, financial statements, market indices and returns, and economic statistics. A common format is applied to all countries for ease of comparison. Consequently, the PACAP Databases are an extremely valuable source of information for academic research, teaching, portfolio management, and capital market development.
- The Bloomberg Professional service is the interactive, financial information network that is Bloomberg's core business. Available 24 hours a day to more than 260,000 professionals in over 100 countries, the service seamlessly integrates data, news, analytics, multimedia reports and e-mail into a single platform. It is used by market professionals around the world to make informed decisions and to complete transactions — in any currency and in a way that is meaningful, accurate, and consistent.
- U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission: official Federal Agency website, including news, legal and other releases and reports, investor education material, and the EDGAR database of corporate disclosure reports
- Standard & Poors
- A source of credit ratings, indices, investment research, risk evaluation and data
- CFA Institute
- CFA Institute, formerly the Association for Investment Management and Research (AIMR) - offers the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation and offers seminars and publications on investment-related topics of interest to investment professionals
- CFA Society of Columbus
- CFA Society of Columbus promotes ethical and professional standards within the investment industry, encourages professional development through the CFA Program, and facilitates the open exchange of information and opinions
Thomson Financial is a global provider of data, analysis and information tools offering the most comprehensive range of indispensable, market-leading services and customizable solutions to help clients make better decisions, be more productive and achieve superior financial results.Thomson Financial Securities Data (TFSD) was created in 1999 by the joining of The Investext Group, Securities Data Company and CDA/Spectrum (http://www.thomsonfinancial.com/home.aspx).
For years each of these companies have been leading the industry in providing critical financial information necessary to make strategic business decisions. By joining forces and becoming one global organization, TFSD is in a better position to help you maximize your success and profitability. As one company, we're enhancing our products and services and developing new dynamic work solutions to meet your changing business needs. This reorganization is part of a broader change at Thomson Financial in which companies are organizing around specific groups of clients to better understand their needs and develop appropriate solutions.
- Reuters' Stockval
- The StockVal suite of products offers analysis and portfolio management tools to help in the equity selection and portfolio evaluation process. Whether your approach is top-down or bottom-up, StockVal’s integrated suite of rich content, high-performance graphic capabilities and unique analytic and reporting tools offer a complete solution to match your investment style.
- Reuters' Bridgestation
- Reuters BridgeStation is the premier solution for institutional trading, investment banking and portfolio management. Reuters BridgeStation enables financial market professionals to access quotes, fundamentals, time & sales, news (including the full suite of integrated Reuters news) and charts on virtually any listed company. Also available are hundreds of pages of equity analytics plus fixed-income data and analytics from EJV. Choose a package of applications and data to suit your particular needs.
- As the world’s foremost financial transactions database, SDCPlatinumTM is the source for the most thorough and accurate account of the entire global financial marketplace. Providing the most detailed information available on new issues, M&A, syndicated loans, private equity, project finance, poison pills, and more, SDCPlatinumTM is the industry standard in financial transactions information. SDCPlatinumTM satisfies the need for a global reach from a local perspective with an international team of expert analysts researching hundreds of sources daily.
- Datastream International Advance
- Content available on Datastream Advance:
- Detailed index related data across global markets, including valuation measures and constituent lists
- Global and sector indices information
- Exchange-traded derivatives data
- Global investment research
- Detailed information on fixed income and equity securities around the world
- Current and historical fundamental data Indicative foreign exchange and money markets data
- Real-time financial news from the Dow Jones Newswire
- Closing prices for OTC bond instruments
- Global forecast and historical economics data
- Interest and exchange rates
- Worldscope International
- Worldscope is the only source you need for comprehensive and detailed accounts information on companies worldwide. You can access detailed fundamental data necessary to make informed investment decisions. The comprehensive coverage available on Worldscope represents more than 96% of the world’s market value.
Wharton Research Data Services
- Standard & Poor's Compustat (SPC) is a division of McGraw-Hill, Inc. SPC is the premier supplier of financial information and produces a variety of databases and software products for institutional investors, financial, and corporate clients. The annual updates to COMPUSTAT (FY2001, data through June 2002) were posted to the WRDS system on August 9, 2002.
- Compustat is a database of financial, statistical, and marketing information. It provides more than 300 annual and 100 quarterly Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Statement of Cash Flows, and supplemental data items on more than 7500 publicly held companies.
- SPC offers several Compustat files that are available in both annual and quarterly formats. The industrial annual formats offer both historical and restated data. The industrial quarterly formats offer restated data as reported by the company. The restated data allows analysts to compare current and prior years' results on a comparable basis and determine financial trends and growth rates. For most companies, annual and quarterly data is available for a maximum of 20 years and 48 quarters (Compustat User's Guide p.1).
- Compustat files also contain information on aggregates, industry segments, banks, market prices, dividends, and earnings. For more detailed information on the Compustat files, consult the Compustat User's Guide.
- Center for Research in Security Prices (CRSP)
- The Center for Research in Security Prices (CRSP) maintains the most comprehensive collection of standard and derived security data available for the NYSE, AMEX and Nasdaq Stock Market. CRSP is a research center at the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business, and maintains historical data spanning from December 1925 to the present. CRSP's trademark of unique issue identifiers tracks a continuous history of securities, providing a seamless time-series examination of the issue's history. CRSP's unparalleled accuracy and dedication to excellence has made CRSP data a staple of academic and commercial research and data analysis throughout the world.
- CRSP was founded in 1960 by James H. Lorie and Lawrence Fisher, Professors at the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business to advance research in operations of security markets. To this end, CRSP is the first organization to have compiled accurate and computerized information, and to have made the data available to academic and commercial markets. Since that time, CRSP has continued to develop and to compile comprehensive securities products for your use.
- The CRSP US Government Bond File is available in two frequencies: daily and monthly. The daily product contains data for about 3,100 marketable US Government securities traded in the secondary market and during the issued trading period from June 14, 1961 to the present. The monthly product contains data for approximately 5,000 bonds, notes, and bills since 1925. Additional CRSP files contain information on stock summaries (indices), treasury bills, maturity portfolios, fama-bliss discount bonds, Risk Free rates, cap based portfolios, S&P 500, and bond, bills, and inflation.
- The CRSP data files are proprietary, the data copyrighted and usage restricted to personal or academic use in accordance with permissions as identified at www.crsp.com. For more information regarding CRSP products, visit the CRSP home page. Copies of the CRSP data manuals are available online in the Documentation and Manuals section.
- All users of I/B/E/S data must submit an I/B/E/S Usage Request Form for each data request.You must submit the form and wait for approval from I/B/E/S before using the data.I/B/E/S International Inc. created the Academic Research Program over 20 years ago. We provide both Global Summary and Individual forecast information as well as buy-sell-hold recommendations for companies globally, plus cash flow, dividend, and pre-tax profit forecasts.Hundreds of articles have been published as a result of I/B/E/S data in the Journal of Finance, Journal of Accounting Research, Journal of Portfolio Management, Journal of Investing, Financial Analysts Journal, and many others.More than 1,000 researchers in more than 300 academic institutions worldwide use I/B/E/S to investigate topics in finance, accounting, and management.