Nomination and Election
Nomination and election to the Accounting Hall of Fame by the board are made annually by mail in two steps:
- Individual members of the board are asked to nominate accountants for possible election to the Hall of Fame in two categories
- “Contemporary Contributors” in recognition of recent contributions to their profession
- “Early Contributors” in recognition of earlier contributions.
- Members of the Board of Nominations cast their votes for the nominees based on a ballot prepared from preliminary nominations
- Each election category in the prepared ballot contains the names of not more than four candidates who have been nominated most frequently.
- Each member casts ten votes in each election category allocated among the candidates in that category as they think appropriate.
- The candidate receiving the most votes on the “Contemporary Contributors” ballot is elected to the Hall. In the event that several candidates receive the same number of votes, more than one candidate may be elected.
- Election in the “Early Contributors” category requires receiving at least 40 percent of the votes cast.
Evidence of election to the Accounting Hall of Fame takes three forms:
- Certificate issued to each person elected
- Name of those elected inscribed on scroll displayed in the Fisher College of Business at The Ohio State University
- A photographic portrait and biographical information are featured on the Accounting Hall of Fame website and held by The Ohio State University Archive. Additional displays reside outside of 400 Fisher Hall at Fisher.
Certificate is issued under the seal of The Ohio State University and signed by the President of the University and a representative of the Board of Nominations is presented to each person elected (or to the person's representative when the person elected is deceased).
The presentation of the certificate usually takes place at the annual meeting of the American Accounting Association. Living members of The Ohio State University faculty are not eligible for election to the Accounting Hall of Fame.
Publications of The Accounting Hall of Fame include the Thomas J. Burns Series in Accounting History, which is distributed by the Department of Accounting and Management Information Systems, Fisher College of Business, The Ohio State University Press, 2100 Neil Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43210. This series of books presents the collected works of selected Hall of Fame members.